Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Stourport incident prompts fire safety warning
11:50am Monday 21st January 2013 in News
AN incident in Stourport is among several that have prompted fire chiefs to renew their call for people to take measures to protect against chimney fires.
At 11.10am on Saturday crews from Stourport and Kidderminster removed a woodburning stove from a property in Hanstone Road, Stourport, following a chimney fire.
It was one of six such incidents last weekend involving real fires or woodburning stoves across the Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) area.
Station Commander Alan Haley, of HWFRS, said: “Thankfully, none of these incidents caused serious damage or injury but chimney fires do have the potential to spread to other parts of a property if not detected and dealt with early.
“Many chimney fires are avoidable simply through good care and maintenance and we would urge anyone whose chimney is due a clean to book an appointment now to prevent the build-up of soot and debris and the increased risk of a fire.”
Full chimney safety advice and a list of approved chimney sweeps operating locally is available from the service’s website at hwfire.org.uk under the Your Safety heading.