Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Kidderminster-based housing group backing gas safety campaign
10:10am Wednesday 18th September 2013 in News
THE Community Housing Group (TCHG), based in Kidderminster, is backing a national gas safety campaign.
The third annual Gas Safety Week, which runs until Sunday highlights issues arising from badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances.
Russell Kramer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “Every year, far too many people suffer from preventable gas-related accidents, such as gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.
“It’s great, therefore, that The Community Housing Group has pledged its support and is raising awareness of gas safety issues, helping to let the 21 million gas consumers in the UK know about the simple checks they can make to stay safe.”
Each year, TCHG arranges for a free safety check on all gas appliances owned by the tenant, as well as servicing the appliances owned by the company.
It is a legal requirement under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to enter a tenant’s home and carry out the gas safety check. Many tenants, however, do not allow access for the checks to take place, putting their lives at risk.
To help encourage the process, TCHG is running a quarterly prize draw for tenants who have had the annual service carried out at the first appointment. Kim Yohe of Kidderminster won the first prize draw, receiving a cheque for £250.
Mark Dainter, head of CHG Property Services - part of TCH -,said: “Hopefully, this new incentive will urge all tenants to think about their safety, and that of their families and neighbours, and will encourage them to have the gas safety check carried out.
“However, those tenants who continue to refuse access leave themselves at risk should the appliances fail to operate correctly and we have now introduced new measures to try and combat this.”
TCHG has traditionally instigated legal proceedings to tackle repeated denied access but following consultation and consent from tenant groups, a new range of action has been agreed.
It includes fitting gas service interrupters, which fit to the boiler controls to remind the tenant that a safety check is due, “capping off” gas supplies to prevent use until the safety check is completed and forcing access if necessary.
Where those actions have been taken, affected tenants will be able to contact TCHG to arrange for an engineer to call, carry out the safety check and reconnect the supply.
Pictured, from left, are: Sharron Jinks, neighbourhood officer, Kim Yohe, Bill Baker, head of repairs, CHG Property Services, Rod Wilson, chairman, TCHG Property Services committee and David Jones and Richard Jarosinski, neighbourhood wardens.
Comments are closed on this article.