Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Burlish Park faces loss of bus service
7:20am Wednesday 11th December 2013 in News
BURLISH Park is facing the loss of its only bus service after Worcestershire County Council voted to scrap a £3 million taxpayer’s subsidy for public transport.
Stourport town councillors expressed concerns that the 192 service is on the "at risk" list as many people living in the area are elderly and do not drive.
A total of 88 services running on 43 routes will be cut across Worcestershire unless private companies express an interest to take on the services, with higher prices or reduced pick-ups, to make money.
Conservative councillor David Little told a Stourport Town Council meeting last week: "The most important bus for the residents of Burlish Park is the number 192.
"Burlish Park was built in the 1960s and lots of people bought their houses then and are still living there. A lot of people also don't drive.
"What I can't understand is why can't one of the buses that go to Areley Kings come down Burlish."
Labour councillor Jamie Shaw also expressed concerns that Stourport may be cut off from Worcester if the numbers 294 and 295 are not saved.
He said: "I'm amazed that the 294 and 295 have to be subsidised. When I get on the bus every seat is taken. It looks like a profitable bus to me.
"I think it would be very wrong if Stourport people, in order to get to Worcester by bus, had to go into Kidderminster and then get another bus to Worcester. Our society is based on mobility."
Stourport Town Council agreed that the town clerk would write to Worcestershire County Council to respond to the consultation.
Independent Community and Health Concern councillor John Thomas, who also a county councillor for Stourport, said: " We want to hear from as many people as possible. Officers at county council are in discussions with the bus companies."
The county council consultation will run until January 17.
Comments are closed on this article.