‘Bindiana Jones’ suffers first injury – in hospital

Kidderminster Shuttle: Travelling man: John McBride suffered his first physical injury while in hospital. Buy this photo » Travelling man: John McBride suffered his first physical injury while in hospital.

A GLOBETROTTER who has travelled to some of the world’s most dangerous countries found his luck ran out when he suffered his first injury while staying at Worcestershire Royal Hospital.

Kidderminster’s John McBride, known as Mad Mac, “smashed his leg to pieces” when he tried to get out of bed in hospital while being treated for hypothermia.

The former binman, nicknamed Bindiana Jones, is on his seventh passport after travelling to 120 countries over 30 years.

The 68-year-old said: “I’ve been in war zones, revolutions and got shot at but the first time I’ve been physically hurt, I was in hospital.

“I’m very superstitious and thought that 2013 would be a bad year.

“It turned out I was right.”

His hospital misfortune is just one of many tales Mr McBride would like included in a book of his life and he is appealing for an author to help him tell his story.

His travels have taken him all over the world and have included some hair-raising experiences, including visiting a voodoo burial ground in Haiti and witnessing a shooting in Jamaica.

The intrepid traveller, a former serviceman, added: “I don’t have the ability to write a book on my own.

“If I told you the whole story you wouldn’t believe me. The reason they call me Mad Mac is that I must be mad to go to some of the places I have been.”

He broke his leg in December last year and is now back home after spending three months in Bryden House Care Home, Kidderminster, and a month in hospital.

He added: “I wasn’t aware of how cold it was.

“I was speaking to somebody on the phone and I collapsed from hypothermia.

“The person on the other end of the phone guessed there was something wrong and called for an ambulance.

“My door was open as I was just letting my cat out.

“If the door wasn’t open I could have died. When I woke up in intensive care, I thought I was at home so I moved out of bed and I smashed my leg to pieces.”

Mr McBride said the doctors only realised a few days later that his leg was “completely broken”.

“One of these days there might come a time when I get shot or killed but it’s my life and I’ll have no regrets,” he added.

To contact him call 01562 748191.


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree