Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Town council opposes second Astley Cross planning application
6:50am Tuesday 17th December 2013 in News
PLANS to build 62 houses on a field in Astley Cross have been opposed by Stourport Town Council.
The application, submitted by Bovis Homes, is to build up to 62 dwellings on green fields between Pearl Lane, Areley Common and Malvern Edge Court.
In March this year, a similar application was made for 106 houses to be built on the site which was withdrawn.
The application has been sent to Malvern Hills District Council as the site is just past the Wyre Forest/Malvern Hills boundary line.
Labour councillor Jamie Shaw told a Stourport Town Council meeting: "Those 62 houses cannot be serviced from Worcester and they have a poor relationship with Malvern. It's bad planning.
"If it were to be built, that housing estate would be an extension of Stourport."
Mr Shaw said Wyre Forest District Council had already made plans for enough homes to be built until 2026.
Labour councillor Vi Higgs said that people moving into the housing estate would need to use Stourport amenities and services.
She said: "The GPs are already over extended, the dentists are full and the buses are being reduced. There's no choice, we've just got to say no."
The council unanimously opposed the application with a decision due to be made by Malvern Hills District Council's planning committee in January.
Comments are closed on this article.