Nearly 3,000 replies in council consultation on controversial cuts

Nearly 3,000 replies in council consultation on controversial cuts

Nearly 3,000 replies in council consultation on controversial cuts

First published in News Kidderminster Shuttle: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A CONSULTATION on controversial council cuts which may affect vulnerable Wyre Forest residents has ended with nearly 3,000 responses received.

Worcestershire County Council officers are collating responses to the “future lives” survey, which has attracted feedback from about 100 events and over 1,500 county residents.

The consultation ended last week and officers are creating a report to be considered by three cabinet members who will make decisions about the future of services on February 12.

Conservative councillors Sheila Blagg, responsible for adult social care, Liz Eyre, member for children and families and Marcus Hart, cabinet member for health and wellbeing, will cast the deciding votes.

As part of the cash-strapped authority’s plan to save £30 million in 2014/15 and then about £25 million a year until 2016/17, the council is looking to slash investment in prevention, early help and other support from £15 million to £6.5 million.

Elderly people, vulnerable families and homeless youngsters in Wyre Forest, fear they could lose vital services, such as warden provision for people in sheltered accommodation, Home-Start Wyre Forest and the newly built £1.6 million Bromsgrove Street Foyer.

Mr Hart said: “Health and wellbeing is one of our corporate priorities and through the Future Lives programme we will help and support people to live independent lives for as long as possible. One part of this programme is investing in new information services to help people find the right services.”

Mrs Eyre thanked respondents, adding: “All their points will inform evidence-based decision making by officers and members.”

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:42am Sat 1 Feb 14

stour67 says...

And guess what ,they will take no notice and bin them,and just spout the usual garbage and carry on doing what they want,has anything been changed when public have been asked NO unless it effected them personally.
And guess what ,they will take no notice and bin them,and just spout the usual garbage and carry on doing what they want,has anything been changed when public have been asked NO unless it effected them personally. stour67
  • Score: 8

7:49am Sat 1 Feb 14

paulinejanet says...

too true
too true paulinejanet
  • Score: 4

11:02am Sat 1 Feb 14

DOEPUBLIC says...

Still only a small percentage of the electorate. Only the people with access and with a knowledge of the survey. Survey, rather consultation as no dialogue is involved. Tick box exercise to show procedure has been followed.
A real consultation seems beyond the authorities at present.
Still only a small percentage of the electorate. Only the people with access and with a knowledge of the survey. Survey, rather consultation as no dialogue is involved. Tick box exercise to show procedure has been followed. A real consultation seems beyond the authorities at present. DOEPUBLIC
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree