Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Fast food outlet bid thrown out after objections
7:00am Sunday 23rd February 2014 in News
PLANS for a KFC restaurant with a drive-through in Kidderminster have been rejected by planners.
Applicant QW Retail Estates Limited wanted to knock down Foley House, in Stourport Road – between the junction of Clee Avenue and the railway bridge – which has been empty for a number of months and build the fried chicken outlet.
Wyre Forest District Council planners rejected the application after hearing the fears of residents.
Dozens of people objected to the plans due to concerns about parking, the volume of traffic it would create, possible noise from the air conditioning, fears of anti-social behaviour and obesity.
Mark Higgins, of Clee Avenue, told the meeting residents were also concerned for the safety of schoolchildren.
“The residents of Clee Avenue object to the proposals of KFC,” he said. “Clee Avenue is used by children who walk to school using the cut-through at the end of the avenue, which raises obvious concerns for their safety.”
He also raised concerns about litter.
“Smell is a major concern to all residents having tolerated the putrid smell from the two fires at the former Lawrences site last year,” he added.
He said the restaurant would also affect the quality of lives of residents as customers would use the street as a car park.
Conservative Marcus Hart recommended the application be refused due to the “adverse” effect it would have on local residents.