Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Warning as cats are killed after drinking anti-freeze
7:30am Saturday 1st March 2014 in News
PET owners are being urged to be vigilant after three cats were killed by anti-freeze in Bewdley.
In the space of two weeks, the pets, from Cherry Close, returned to their devastated owners fitting, lethargic and struggling to stand.
The Shuttle reported in January how residents were fearful a cat killer was back on the prowl in the area after two felines died within days of each other.
It is not yet known how the cats came to drink anti- freeze but people who use the liquid are being asked to make sure they dispose of it responsibly and clear up any spillages.
Kelly Lake, RSPCA Inspector, said: “At this stage we do not know if this is an accidental in - cident or deliberate but, in the meantime, we would ask for eve - ryone in the area to check where they keep their anti-freeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats.
“We would ask them to check for any leaks on their cars too because it only takes a minute amount of the anti-freeze to be ingested for it to be fatal.
“It is possible that people were simply unaware of the potential hazards to cats when they poured the anti-freeze away. Similarly, we cannot rule out that this was a de - liberate act of cruelty.
“Unfortunately, the taste of anti- freeze is very attractive to cats and ingesting just the smallest amount can lead to kidney failure and death.”
Anyone with information about the suspected anti-freeze poison - ings should contact the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cru - elty to Animals immediately on 0300 1234 999.
Comments are closed on this article.