Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Vets warn of cat poisoning
A VETERINARY clinic in Bewdley has warned cat owners about the dangers of anti-freeze poisoning.
Riverside Vets, on Severnside South, has had to put down a number of cats who suffered kidney failure after ingesting the liquid which felines find sweet-tasting.
One couple in Kidderminster, who are customers of the practice, lost three cats in three years to anti-freeze poisoning, including their long-haired, ginger and white tom cat in mid May.
Rachel Inns, head nurse at Riverside Vets, said: “It is distressing for everyone involved and we are all distraught when we see a fit and healthy animal become ill so rapidly.
“It is almost untreatable.”
In a recent case the owners of an affected pet believed the poisoning was intentional and informed the RSPCA and police.
However a spokeswoman for West Mercia Police said: “Due to a lack of evidence we cannot say whether it was an intentional act or not.”
Vets can treat the symptoms of anti-freeze poisoning by placing cats on intravenous fluids and providing nursing care, but often this does not stop the onset of fatal kidney deterioration.
The faster a pet receives veterinary support the greater its chances of survival and Riverside Vets hopes to spread this message, as well as encourage vigilance against deliberate poisonings.
Miss Inns said: “If your cat is off-colour, quiet, not eating, sleepy or vomiting get in touch with a vet as soon as possible.”
The RSPCA says anti-freeze poisoning can cause animals “pain, suffering, distress and ultimately death” and is a criminal offence, under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, with a maximum of 6 months in prison or a £20,000 fine.
Comments are closed on this article.