New speed cameras on A449 in Kidderminster

NEARLY 70 per cent of drivers who travel along two busy Kidderminster roads exceed the 30mph limit, it has been revealed, leaving residents concerned for safety.

Two new mobile speed cameras have now been launched on the A449 Chester Road South and Wolverhampton Road to try and stop the speeding drivers in their tracks.

Sixty six per cent of drivers exceed the 30mph limit on Chester Road South and 15 per cent travel above 38.7mph, according to data collected by the Safer Roads Partnership in West Mercia.

In Wolverhampton Road, 69 per cent of vehicles drive faster than 30mph, while 15 per cent travel above 39.5mph.

The cameras were launched yesterday as part of the partnership’s Community Concern speed enforcement programme and are expected to remain on the roads for about six months.

Action was taken after worried residents raised the speeding issue at local Partners and Communities Together (PACT) meetings and through the local policing team.

Katy Jenkins of the Safer Roads Partnership in West Mercia said: “It is clear that local people are worried about speeds on both Chester Road South and Wolverhampton Road and they have raised these concerns with the local policing team at PACT meetings.

“In response to these concerns, we are now launching two mobile enforcement sites on the A449 to reduce the number of drivers exceeding the speed limit.”

Further data about driver speeds will be collected at both sites to assess the impact of enforcement. It is hoped the cameras will make drivers stick to the speed limit.

Jon Fraser, Worcestershire County Council's customer and community manager, said: "Speed limits exist for a reason, to keep all road-users and pedestrians safe. Anyone travelling at speeds over the designated limits is putting themselves and others in danger, as well as breaking the law. We'd urge everyone to keep safe and drive safely."

Mike Digger, traffic management adviser at West Mercia Police, added they would ensure “drivers comply with the speed limits that are in place to improve the safety of the roads”.

Comments (36)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:18am Tue 14 Feb 12

Respectable says...

It's about time this type of activity was deployed onto the Kidderminster to Bromsgrove Road... BEFORE there is a really bad accident.. The reckless overtaking and complete lack of adherence to the speed limits is shocking.... You only have to look at the amount of holes in the hedges and accident debris to see that this road is dangerous...
It's about time this type of activity was deployed onto the Kidderminster to Bromsgrove Road... BEFORE there is a really bad accident.. The reckless overtaking and complete lack of adherence to the speed limits is shocking.... You only have to look at the amount of holes in the hedges and accident debris to see that this road is dangerous... Respectable
  • Score: 1

9:25am Tue 14 Feb 12

Frank Owen says...

What the figures actually tell you is that the speed limit needs raising.

Clearly if the "excessive" speed at which motorists are travelling was inappropriate for the road, then there would be a long history of speed related accidents.

Any one care to enlighten us as to how many there have actually been in the last 5 years?

The reality of this situation is that the powers that be have spotted another opportunity to raise revenue and set out to justify that by blaming the motorist.

Speed does not kill....inappropriat
e speed does.
What the figures actually tell you is that the speed limit needs raising. Clearly if the "excessive" speed at which motorists are travelling was inappropriate for the road, then there would be a long history of speed related accidents. Any one care to enlighten us as to how many there have actually been in the last 5 years? The reality of this situation is that the powers that be have spotted another opportunity to raise revenue and set out to justify that by blaming the motorist. Speed does not kill....inappropriat e speed does. Frank Owen
  • Score: 1

9:33am Tue 14 Feb 12

FlipC - The Mad Ranter says...

Well beyond pointing out that Chester Road South is a wide straight road that used to be a 40mph zone anyway; may I point out that it is in fact rather uncomfortable to actually drive down this road at 30mph. This appears to be due to the undulations in the road surface; at least in my car.

Driving at 30mph (or just under) and my car will shiver; push my speed up to 40mph and it stops. I now know to keep my car shivering to keep it legal; but only by dampening my automatic response to stop subjecting my vehcile to it.
Well beyond pointing out that Chester Road South is a wide straight road that used to be a 40mph zone anyway; may I point out that it is in fact rather uncomfortable to actually drive down this road at 30mph. This appears to be due to the undulations in the road surface; at least in my car. Driving at 30mph (or just under) and my car will shiver; push my speed up to 40mph and it stops. I now know to keep my car shivering to keep it legal; but only by dampening my automatic response to stop subjecting my vehcile to it. FlipC - The Mad Ranter
  • Score: 0

10:40am Tue 14 Feb 12

Keith Peat says...

The majority of drivers do not 'speed' intentionally. If 70% are exceeding the limit without accident then the cause is one of two things. Either the road itself induces faster speeds, (the entrapment effect) or the limit is inappropriately set. Set the limit higher and the speeding will go down.

'Speeding', that is to exceed an arbitrary unscientifically set number on a pole, cannot cause anything. Driving too fast does cause accidents most of which are below the speed limits too.

If hundreds of accidents were happening, would the police just take snaps of them or find out why? They should do this at this site otherwise it is blatant 'entrapment' on their part and nothing else.

Ex Speed Cop.
The majority of drivers do not 'speed' intentionally. If 70% are exceeding the limit without accident then the cause is one of two things. Either the road itself induces faster speeds, (the entrapment effect) or the limit is inappropriately set. Set the limit higher and the speeding will go down. 'Speeding', that is to exceed an arbitrary unscientifically set number on a pole, cannot cause anything. Driving too fast does cause accidents most of which are below the speed limits too. If hundreds of accidents were happening, would the police just take snaps of them or find out why? They should do this at this site otherwise it is blatant 'entrapment' on their part and nothing else. Ex Speed Cop. Keith Peat
  • Score: 0

11:19am Tue 14 Feb 12

FlipC - The Mad Ranter says...

I was going to argue about there being such a thing as an inappropriate speed limit; then I recalled how many times I get passed on the stretch of the Ringway from or to the Bus Station island.

Dual-carriageway; well-lit; concrete buffers between opposing lanes; one footway that only runs alongside part of the carriageway and is itself protected by a metal railing - 40mph limit?
I was going to argue about there being such a thing as an inappropriate speed limit; then I recalled how many times I get passed on the stretch of the Ringway from or to the Bus Station island. Dual-carriageway; well-lit; concrete buffers between opposing lanes; one footway that only runs alongside part of the carriageway and is itself protected by a metal railing - 40mph limit? FlipC - The Mad Ranter
  • Score: 0

11:38am Tue 14 Feb 12

walkerno5 says...

These are both stretches that used to be 40 aren't they? What was the original argument for lowering these to 30?
These are both stretches that used to be 40 aren't they? What was the original argument for lowering these to 30? walkerno5
  • Score: 0

1:16pm Tue 14 Feb 12

Watchful says...

We should all agree with the "Ex-traffic-cop" Keith peat. I dont use the Chester Road very often but when I do, I always feel it is ludicrous to be doing 30 mph on it. I would encourage the powers that be to harken to "respectable" and go and have a look at the holes in the hedges and the accident debris along the Bromsgrove road illustrating clearly where some action should be taken. Forgive me but I am still trying to work out why after one or two fatal accidents we had to make all drivers suffer by turning the Kidderminster to Worcester road from a good servicable trunk road into a bottleneck. It goes without saying that all drivers are not the same. This road was always a good road where you could go a little faster, (with the flow,) but not any more. The powers that be seem to study the accident rate and do not seem to compare it to the amount of usage the road actually gets. I would hazard a guess and estimate that the Bewdley by-Pass tots-up more accidents pro-rata of traffic than the Worcester Road ever did. Powers that be please take a good look at changeing the way and the why you prioritise the positioning of these money machines!
We should all agree with the "Ex-traffic-cop" Keith peat. I dont use the Chester Road very often but when I do, I always feel it is ludicrous to be doing 30 mph on it. I would encourage the powers that be to harken to "respectable" and go and have a look at the holes in the hedges and the accident debris along the Bromsgrove road illustrating clearly where some action should be taken. Forgive me but I am still trying to work out why after one or two fatal accidents we had to make all drivers suffer by turning the Kidderminster to Worcester road from a good servicable trunk road into a bottleneck. It goes without saying that all drivers are not the same. This road was always a good road where you could go a little faster, (with the flow,) but not any more. The powers that be seem to study the accident rate and do not seem to compare it to the amount of usage the road actually gets. I would hazard a guess and estimate that the Bewdley by-Pass tots-up more accidents pro-rata of traffic than the Worcester Road ever did. Powers that be please take a good look at changeing the way and the why you prioritise the positioning of these money machines! Watchful
  • Score: 0

4:01pm Tue 14 Feb 12

NOTMUCHCOMMONSENSE says...

FlipC - The Mad Ranter wrote:
Well beyond pointing out that Chester Road South is a wide straight road that used to be a 40mph zone anyway; may I point out that it is in fact rather uncomfortable to actually drive down this road at 30mph. This appears to be due to the undulations in the road surface; at least in my car.

Driving at 30mph (or just under) and my car will shiver; push my speed up to 40mph and it stops. I now know to keep my car shivering to keep it legal; but only by dampening my automatic response to stop subjecting my vehcile to it.
Im glad someone else has noticed the undulations in the road surface, i thought there was something wrong with my cars suspension.
[quote][p][bold]FlipC - The Mad Ranter[/bold] wrote: Well beyond pointing out that Chester Road South is a wide straight road that used to be a 40mph zone anyway; may I point out that it is in fact rather uncomfortable to actually drive down this road at 30mph. This appears to be due to the undulations in the road surface; at least in my car. Driving at 30mph (or just under) and my car will shiver; push my speed up to 40mph and it stops. I now know to keep my car shivering to keep it legal; but only by dampening my automatic response to stop subjecting my vehcile to it.[/p][/quote]Im glad someone else has noticed the undulations in the road surface, i thought there was something wrong with my cars suspension. NOTMUCHCOMMONSENSE
  • Score: 0

5:33pm Tue 14 Feb 12

Poppasmurf says...

The attitude to speed limits throughout Worcestershire needs to be re-examined. Mentioned above are the limits on Chester Road, Wolverhampton Road and the Kidderminster Worcester dual carriageway. What about the Kidderminster-Birmin
gham dual carriageway which has now been made into one of the worlds longest - and slowest - slalom courses? This was brought about because of a fatal accident to a father and son several years ago which was due almost entirely to the county council failing to maintain the road where the accident happened by letting the white lines and cats eyes virtally disappear before the accident happened - but's it's easier to blame the drivers and their speeds! And it's a good excuse to spend a million or more of the council taxpayers money and keep a few more council employees in a job!
The attitude to speed limits throughout Worcestershire needs to be re-examined. Mentioned above are the limits on Chester Road, Wolverhampton Road and the Kidderminster Worcester dual carriageway. What about the Kidderminster-Birmin gham dual carriageway which has now been made into one of the worlds longest - and slowest - slalom courses? This was brought about because of a fatal accident to a father and son several years ago which was due almost entirely to the county council failing to maintain the road where the accident happened by letting the white lines and cats eyes virtally disappear before the accident happened - but's it's easier to blame the drivers and their speeds! And it's a good excuse to spend a million or more of the council taxpayers money and keep a few more council employees in a job! Poppasmurf
  • Score: -1

5:34pm Tue 14 Feb 12

kidderman says...

Its about time they did this, but why tell everyone? ,they will know soon enough when the fine comes thru the letter box
Its about time they did this, but why tell everyone? ,they will know soon enough when the fine comes thru the letter box kidderman
  • Score: 0

5:36pm Tue 14 Feb 12

ItShouldbe40MPH says...

I got caught by this camera earlier. I imagine I'll get a ticket in the next few days. I cannot express how infuriated I am. I travel across this road everyday on the commute to work, it is a safe road, which in my opinion should be 40mph. The high number of people speeding is because it feels like the correct speed for the road. I have driven this road at 30, and it feels painfully slow, this slowness is only worsened by the shoddy condition of the road which at such a slow speed is causing some serious damage to my spine. The speed police want to take a look at themselves, this road should be a 40mph road. It is thoroughly unfair to sneak up on these drivers without warning and hit them with a fine. I am not a dangerous driver. I'm sure they've made a lot of money today! It's ridiculous, and I intend to fight them all the way. Sort it out, listen to the drivers who use the road and not some snotty residents who are not representative of the majority.
I got caught by this camera earlier. I imagine I'll get a ticket in the next few days. I cannot express how infuriated I am. I travel across this road everyday on the commute to work, it is a safe road, which in my opinion should be 40mph. The high number of people speeding is because it feels like the correct speed for the road. I have driven this road at 30, and it feels painfully slow, this slowness is only worsened by the shoddy condition of the road which at such a slow speed is causing some serious damage to my spine. The speed police want to take a look at themselves, this road should be a 40mph road. It is thoroughly unfair to sneak up on these drivers without warning and hit them with a fine. I am not a dangerous driver. I'm sure they've made a lot of money today! It's ridiculous, and I intend to fight them all the way. Sort it out, listen to the drivers who use the road and not some snotty residents who are not representative of the majority. ItShouldbe40MPH
  • Score: 0

5:42pm Tue 14 Feb 12

kidderman says...

Ha ha how can you say you are not a dangerous driver when you exceed the speed limit ? This road has a footpath used by lots of students on their way to school daily, i recon you got what you deserved
Ha ha how can you say you are not a dangerous driver when you exceed the speed limit ? This road has a footpath used by lots of students on their way to school daily, i recon you got what you deserved kidderman
  • Score: 0

5:53pm Tue 14 Feb 12

ItShouldbe40MPH says...

Yes, it is very funny. Ha ha ha. As the stats in the article above suggest, 70% of drivers speed on this road. I am one of these. I don't consider the majority of these road users and myself to be dangerous drivers. I've never crashed, nor, have I ever had a speeding fine or points on my license. How many accidents have there been on this road? This road links to a very large main road and ring road system, if students are going to school here, then they ought to look left and right. Or, even better, pop a nice crossing in for them. But, don't entrap 70% of drivers, it's nonsensical, money driven lunacy.
Yes, it is very funny. Ha ha ha. As the stats in the article above suggest, 70% of drivers speed on this road. I am one of these. I don't consider the majority of these road users and myself to be dangerous drivers. I've never crashed, nor, have I ever had a speeding fine or points on my license. How many accidents have there been on this road? This road links to a very large main road and ring road system, if students are going to school here, then they ought to look left and right. Or, even better, pop a nice crossing in for them. But, don't entrap 70% of drivers, it's nonsensical, money driven lunacy. ItShouldbe40MPH
  • Score: 0

6:22pm Tue 14 Feb 12

Beefy says...

Isnt it simple regardless of what the speed limit is.........Stick to the limit and you wont get caught???

Its not hard is it?
Isnt it simple regardless of what the speed limit is.........Stick to the limit and you wont get caught??? Its not hard is it? Beefy
  • Score: 0

6:30pm Tue 14 Feb 12

ItShouldbe40MPH says...

Beefy wrote:
Isnt it simple regardless of what the speed limit is.........Stick to the limit and you wont get caught???

Its not hard is it?
You are correct. Obviously, I'm a little bitter that I've been flashed today, but on every other road that I drive on, I abide to the speed limit without even thinking about it. I feel the limit is apt for the road. Whereas, in this roads case, I feel questions need raising about the appropriateness of a 30mph speed zone on such a road.
[quote][p][bold]Beefy[/bold] wrote: Isnt it simple regardless of what the speed limit is.........Stick to the limit and you wont get caught??? Its not hard is it?[/p][/quote]You are correct. Obviously, I'm a little bitter that I've been flashed today, but on every other road that I drive on, I abide to the speed limit without even thinking about it. I feel the limit is apt for the road. Whereas, in this roads case, I feel questions need raising about the appropriateness of a 30mph speed zone on such a road. ItShouldbe40MPH
  • Score: 0

7:56pm Tue 14 Feb 12

stour67 says...

And yet northwood lane in bewdley is 60mph on the narrow part but you see people driving at that because the road is to narrow the camera's are only there for money no other reason like the 1s on the kidder stourport road,there not by the schools because they would not catch any body.
And yet northwood lane in bewdley is 60mph on the narrow part but you see people driving at that because the road is to narrow the camera's are only there for money no other reason like the 1s on the kidder stourport road,there not by the schools because they would not catch any body. stour67
  • Score: 0

8:26pm Tue 14 Feb 12

GGmommy says...

I do agree that if it's 30 then people should do 30. However I also feel that sometimes the Police do favour roads in which they can easily catch large numbers of motorists, perhaps focussing on volume of fines rather than safety? Our village has a main road through as well as a Primary School and a children's playground, there is no crossing and people seem to find it hard to stick to 30 here. Yet I have never seen any police presence. Is this because some areas are more important than others to police? or is it because some areas generate more fines and therefore income?
I do agree that if it's 30 then people should do 30. However I also feel that sometimes the Police do favour roads in which they can easily catch large numbers of motorists, perhaps focussing on volume of fines rather than safety? Our village has a main road through as well as a Primary School and a children's playground, there is no crossing and people seem to find it hard to stick to 30 here. Yet I have never seen any police presence. Is this because some areas are more important than others to police? or is it because some areas generate more fines and therefore income? GGmommy
  • Score: 0

8:42pm Tue 14 Feb 12

Cynical Sid says...

@Frank Owen asked: "Any one care to enlighten us as to how many there have actually been in the last 5 years?"

Stats make interesting reading! Five years you wanted? ...Naa forget that here are the last SIX years of prangs on this not so dangerous stretch of road. All in the public domain you understand!

A449/A451 Kidderminster

Hoobrook – Comberton Hill
Fatal - NIL
Serious - 2
Slight - 11

Comberton Hill – Birmingham Rd (A456)

Fatal - NIL
Serious - 1
Slight - 5

Birmingham Rd – Lea Castle X Rds

Fatal - NIL
Serious - NIL
Slight - 13

The vast majority of these (nearly all) occurred at junctions.


Excess speed does not cause collisions (note I didn’t use the term accident) but people’s inability to drive at a sensible speed according the road does!

Not many speed camera's on the A442 Kidd - Bridgenorth Rd where there has been multiple fatal collisions. Why? Because there is not much money to be made from extracting money from people exceeding the 60mph limit. Why? It is not a causation faction. Driving at an inappropriate speed is. Simple.
@Frank Owen asked: "Any one care to enlighten us as to how many there have actually been in the last 5 years?" Stats make interesting reading! Five years you wanted? ...Naa forget that here are the last SIX years of prangs on this not so dangerous stretch of road. All in the public domain you understand! A449/A451 Kidderminster Hoobrook – Comberton Hill Fatal - NIL Serious - 2 Slight - 11 Comberton Hill – Birmingham Rd (A456) Fatal - NIL Serious - 1 Slight - 5 Birmingham Rd – Lea Castle X Rds Fatal - NIL Serious - NIL Slight - 13 The vast majority of these (nearly all) occurred at junctions. Excess speed does not cause collisions (note I didn’t use the term accident) but people’s inability to drive at a sensible speed according the road does! Not many speed camera's on the A442 Kidd - Bridgenorth Rd where there has been multiple fatal collisions. Why? Because there is not much money to be made from extracting money from people exceeding the 60mph limit. Why? It is not a causation faction. Driving at an inappropriate speed is. Simple. Cynical Sid
  • Score: 0

8:47pm Tue 14 Feb 12

Cynical Sid says...

Faction = Factor
Faction = Factor Cynical Sid
  • Score: 0

9:19pm Tue 14 Feb 12

Grumpy Old Blogger says...

So many sensible Kidderminster drivers! 40 mph should be restored to the original positions. Chester Road South - very few pedestrians after Farfield! Better to make some of the side roads 20mph if we are really interested in safety but that is not the issue. Cameras for cash is the reality. I bet that the people who decide these arbitrary limits are not residents who really know the roads in question.
So many sensible Kidderminster drivers! 40 mph should be restored to the original positions. Chester Road South - very few pedestrians after Farfield! Better to make some of the side roads 20mph if we are really interested in safety but that is not the issue. Cameras for cash is the reality. I bet that the people who decide these arbitrary limits are not residents who really know the roads in question. Grumpy Old Blogger
  • Score: 0

9:52pm Tue 14 Feb 12

kidderman says...

@ GRUMPY OLD BLOGGER."Very few pedestrians after farfield " Just take a walk along there at school time and when school finishes and tell me that there are very few pedestrians. Within 300 yds you have traffic lights at land oak, a zebra crossing by the cricket ground, and another set of traffic lights on chester road,Do you think that they are there for fun, or maybe you havnt noticed them !!!!!!!!!!!!
@ GRUMPY OLD BLOGGER."Very few pedestrians after farfield " Just take a walk along there at school time and when school finishes and tell me that there are very few pedestrians. Within 300 yds you have traffic lights at land oak, a zebra crossing by the cricket ground, and another set of traffic lights on chester road,Do you think that they are there for fun, or maybe you havnt noticed them !!!!!!!!!!!! kidderman
  • Score: 0

10:20pm Tue 14 Feb 12

Frank Owen says...

kidderman wrote:
Ha ha how can you say you are not a dangerous driver when you exceed the speed limit ? This road has a footpath used by lots of students on their way to school daily, i recon you got what you deserved
Please feel free to post any statistics you may have that support your claims that this is a dangerous stretch of road for pedestrians?
[quote][p][bold]kidderman[/bold] wrote: Ha ha how can you say you are not a dangerous driver when you exceed the speed limit ? This road has a footpath used by lots of students on their way to school daily, i recon you got what you deserved[/p][/quote]Please feel free to post any statistics you may have that support your claims that this is a dangerous stretch of road for pedestrians? Frank Owen
  • Score: 0

11:56pm Tue 14 Feb 12

gillie51 says...

A 30mph speed limit only applies in a built up area> Chester Road South coming from Worcester Road cannot be classed as a built up area until you get well past the Travel Gas garage. No street lights and no residential properties on both sides of the road, so how are they classing it as built up!
The speed cop yesterday was standing beside a hedge where there was no sign of a house or a street light! He couldn't have even seen another residential property on his side of the road.
Just another way of getting money off drivers who know the area, know the highway code and slow down when they know they need to. If there had been accidents because of people's speeding or careless driving, then fair enough, but this is beyond the pail. And yes, I stick to the speed limit, but it doesn't do my car much good going at that speed when there is no need.
A 30mph speed limit only applies in a built up area> Chester Road South coming from Worcester Road cannot be classed as a built up area until you get well past the Travel Gas garage. No street lights and no residential properties on both sides of the road, so how are they classing it as built up! The speed cop yesterday was standing beside a hedge where there was no sign of a house or a street light! He couldn't have even seen another residential property on his side of the road. Just another way of getting money off drivers who know the area, know the highway code and slow down when they know they need to. If there had been accidents because of people's speeding or careless driving, then fair enough, but this is beyond the pail. And yes, I stick to the speed limit, but it doesn't do my car much good going at that speed when there is no need. gillie51
  • Score: 0

11:56pm Tue 14 Feb 12

gillie51 says...

A 30mph speed limit only applies in a built up area> Chester Road South coming from Worcester Road cannot be classed as a built up area until you get well past the Travel Gas garage. No street lights and no residential properties on both sides of the road, so how are they classing it as built up!
The speed cop yesterday was standing beside a hedge where there was no sign of a house or a street light! He couldn't have even seen another residential property on his side of the road.
Just another way of getting money off drivers who know the area, know the highway code and slow down when they know they need to. If there had been accidents because of people's speeding or careless driving, then fair enough, but this is beyond the pail. And yes, I stick to the speed limit, but it doesn't do my car much good going at that speed when there is no need.
A 30mph speed limit only applies in a built up area> Chester Road South coming from Worcester Road cannot be classed as a built up area until you get well past the Travel Gas garage. No street lights and no residential properties on both sides of the road, so how are they classing it as built up! The speed cop yesterday was standing beside a hedge where there was no sign of a house or a street light! He couldn't have even seen another residential property on his side of the road. Just another way of getting money off drivers who know the area, know the highway code and slow down when they know they need to. If there had been accidents because of people's speeding or careless driving, then fair enough, but this is beyond the pail. And yes, I stick to the speed limit, but it doesn't do my car much good going at that speed when there is no need. gillie51
  • Score: 0

9:28am Wed 15 Feb 12

FlipC - The Mad Ranter says...

Perhaps one of the flaws in the system is that speed limits are altered for reasons unexplained to the public.

For example I know that the Chester Road South limit was altered from 40 to 30 in the middle of 2002; however there is nothing to explain exactly why it was done.

Okay that was a while ago, but consider the alteration in limits on the A451 next to the new Single Site; the only thing I can find on that is the statement that it's being planned and that the reasons for which are viewable at the District Offices - very useful.
Perhaps one of the flaws in the system is that speed limits are altered for reasons unexplained to the public. For example I know that the Chester Road South limit was altered from 40 to 30 in the middle of 2002; however there is nothing to explain exactly why it was done. Okay that was a while ago, but consider the alteration in limits on the A451 next to the new Single Site; the only thing I can find on that is the statement that it's being planned and that the reasons for which are viewable at the District Offices - very useful. FlipC - The Mad Ranter
  • Score: 0

12:20pm Wed 15 Feb 12

Kiddypaul81 says...

I may be missing something here, the road is a 30 most people do more, increase it to 40 most people will do more. People have reported no accidents so should be increased, why? Surely it's better to prevent then re-act?

Car struggling to maintain the speed? Change gear. Increase the speed limit, risk higher speeds, plus if you travel the length of chester road the diff between 30mph and 40mph will prob only save you a minute and half max!
I may be missing something here, the road is a 30 most people do more, increase it to 40 most people will do more. People have reported no accidents so should be increased, why? Surely it's better to prevent then re-act? Car struggling to maintain the speed? Change gear. Increase the speed limit, risk higher speeds, plus if you travel the length of chester road the diff between 30mph and 40mph will prob only save you a minute and half max! Kiddypaul81
  • Score: 0

1:27pm Wed 15 Feb 12

FranOb says...

As local County Councillor I am in receipt of a petition from residents on Chester Road South requesting amongst other things Speed Cameras.
It is a main route for pupils going to King Charles 1 School and has housing on both sides down as far as Barnetts Lane.
PACT Meetings have regularly raised speeding on Chester Rd South as a major issue in the area.
As local County Councillor I am in receipt of a petition from residents on Chester Road South requesting amongst other things Speed Cameras. It is a main route for pupils going to King Charles 1 School and has housing on both sides down as far as Barnetts Lane. PACT Meetings have regularly raised speeding on Chester Rd South as a major issue in the area. FranOb
  • Score: 0

3:11pm Wed 15 Feb 12

walkerno5 says...

@Fran, is the speeding that is perceived as a problem by people who are driving at 37 mph or people who are driving considerably in excess of 40mph?

Are you at risk of charging lots of people for some pretty harmless driving at a speed appropriate to the road in an attempt to catch people who use the road dangerously?
@Fran, is the speeding that is perceived as a problem by people who are driving at 37 mph or people who are driving considerably in excess of 40mph? Are you at risk of charging lots of people for some pretty harmless driving at a speed appropriate to the road in an attempt to catch people who use the road dangerously? walkerno5
  • Score: 0

8:55pm Wed 15 Feb 12

Frank Owen says...

@Fran,

How many accidents have there been, directly attributable to speed at these locations in the last 5 yrs?

How many of those pupils have been injured as a result of speeding?
@Fran, How many accidents have there been, directly attributable to speed at these locations in the last 5 yrs? How many of those pupils have been injured as a result of speeding? Frank Owen
  • Score: 0

10:24pm Wed 15 Feb 12

Cynical Sid says...

@fran "How many of those pupils have been injured as a result of speeding?"

None ..nada ...zilch

"As local County Councillor" .....say no more
@fran "How many of those pupils have been injured as a result of speeding?" None ..nada ...zilch "As local County Councillor" .....say no more Cynical Sid
  • Score: 0

10:24pm Wed 15 Feb 12

gillie51 says...

There is a need for a 30mph speed limit where there is a likihood of pedestrians,, over half of Chester Road South is pedestrian free. How many children from King Charles walk down Chester Road South either at lunch time or at the end of the school day? Most go from school either down Comberton Hill or up Chester Road North.
There is a need for a 30mph speed limit where there is a likihood of pedestrians,, over half of Chester Road South is pedestrian free. How many children from King Charles walk down Chester Road South either at lunch time or at the end of the school day? Most go from school either down Comberton Hill or up Chester Road North. gillie51
  • Score: 0

2:40pm Thu 16 Feb 12

Grumpy Old Blogger says...

Sorry Kidderman that you mis-interpreted my posting. No pedestrians after Farfield when going SOUTH. It is a very regular walk of mine and I know that to be true. From Farfield to Hurcott Road a different kettle of fish! Most of the day it is impossible to exceed 30mph due to volume of traffic so it is self-regulating with the traffic lights and pedestrian crossings.
Whoever is responsible for changes in speed limits should consult a good cross-section of the local population and not just those who live on the roads in question. Just a little common sense, please!
Sorry Kidderman that you mis-interpreted my posting. No pedestrians after Farfield when going SOUTH. It is a very regular walk of mine and I know that to be true. From Farfield to Hurcott Road a different kettle of fish! Most of the day it is impossible to exceed 30mph due to volume of traffic so it is self-regulating with the traffic lights and pedestrian crossings. Whoever is responsible for changes in speed limits should consult a good cross-section of the local population and not just those who live on the roads in question. Just a little common sense, please! Grumpy Old Blogger
  • Score: 0

8:14pm Thu 16 Feb 12

kidderman says...

@Frank Owen. I would imagine that the statistics attributed to speed are quite low, which only goes to show that the speed limit of
30 mph should be observed
@Frank Owen. I would imagine that the statistics attributed to speed are quite low, which only goes to show that the speed limit of 30 mph should be observed kidderman
  • Score: 0

9:04pm Thu 16 Feb 12

Frank Owen says...

kidderman wrote:
@Frank Owen. I would imagine that the statistics attributed to speed are quite low, which only goes to show that the speed limit of
30 mph should be observed
If the statistics of accidents caused by excess speed are low, then there isn't a problem, is there?

If, however, there had been lots of deaths/injuries caused by drivers going too fast, then the new cameras would be totally justified.

Otherwise, it just becomes a revenue generating exercise.
[quote][p][bold]kidderman[/bold] wrote: @Frank Owen. I would imagine that the statistics attributed to speed are quite low, which only goes to show that the speed limit of 30 mph should be observed[/p][/quote]If the statistics of accidents caused by excess speed are low, then there isn't a problem, is there? If, however, there had been lots of deaths/injuries caused by drivers going too fast, then the new cameras would be totally justified. Otherwise, it just becomes a revenue generating exercise. Frank Owen
  • Score: 0

10:39am Sun 19 Feb 12

Bluenosebaron says...

This is a joke 90% of driver speed through Wilden village and for some reason nobody gives a ****
Does anyone have any idea why ?
This is a joke 90% of driver speed through Wilden village and for some reason nobody gives a **** Does anyone have any idea why ? Bluenosebaron
  • Score: 0

9:00pm Sat 25 Feb 12

ChesterRoad2 says...

As one of the residents in Chester Road who have requested action about the problems with speeding, I would like to add the following comments:

Firstly, I agree with a number of other contributors that this road would be more sensibly 40mph, just as much as the Worcester Road/Birmingham Road should still be 70mph and the Stourbridge Road 60mph ... BUT ... for whatever reason, the limit has been set to 30mph which means quite simply that anyone who exceeds that speed is BREAKING THE LAW - however much of an **** that law might be.

Secondly, the definition of entrapment is "the action of law enforcement officers inducing persons not disposed to commit crimes to engage in criminal activity". I cannot see how this definition can possibly be applied to police officers properly carrying out their duties in apprehending law-breakers. The speed limit signs are clearly installed, anyone who ignores them is either arrogant enough to think they are above the law, or reckless enough to think they can get away with breaking the law.

Thirdly, I think there is a lot to be said for having a dedicated traffic police force with the power to levy fines for all types of traffic violations, and this could have a positive impact on the standards of driving we currently have to suffer. This would also free up the time of “ordinary” police to get on with the things which matter within the community. I would like to see driving treated as a skill, not something people do casually and without thought for consequences, and possibly the only way to get through to some drivers is by penalties for traffic violations.
As one of the residents in Chester Road who have requested action about the problems with speeding, I would like to add the following comments: Firstly, I agree with a number of other contributors that this road would be more sensibly 40mph, just as much as the Worcester Road/Birmingham Road should still be 70mph and the Stourbridge Road 60mph ... BUT ... for whatever reason, the limit has been set to 30mph which means quite simply that anyone who exceeds that speed is BREAKING THE LAW - however much of an **** that law might be. Secondly, the definition of entrapment is "the action of law enforcement officers inducing persons not disposed to commit crimes to engage in criminal activity". I cannot see how this definition can possibly be applied to police officers properly carrying out their duties in apprehending law-breakers. The speed limit signs are clearly installed, anyone who ignores them is either arrogant enough to think they are above the law, or reckless enough to think they can get away with breaking the law. Thirdly, I think there is a lot to be said for having a dedicated traffic police force with the power to levy fines for all types of traffic violations, and this could have a positive impact on the standards of driving we currently have to suffer. This would also free up the time of “ordinary” police to get on with the things which matter within the community. I would like to see driving treated as a skill, not something people do casually and without thought for consequences, and possibly the only way to get through to some drivers is by penalties for traffic violations. ChesterRoad2
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree