Meningitis survivor urges community to be aware

First published in News

A KIDDERMINSTER meningitis survivor is encouraging the community to be aware of the disease and its symptoms during Meningitis Awareness Week which started on Monday.

Carly Fisher survived the disease after her four-year-old son was able to pass her a phone to call for help.

She said: “After not sleeping due to a fever, stiff neck and sickness, I crawled down two flights of stairs to unbolt the door, fearing that nobody would be able to enter the house to look after my children if I were to go unconscious.

“My neighbour, mother-in-law and doctor made the right decisions and quickly, which is why I am still here today and my three sons still have their mummy.”

The Meningitis Research Foundation (MRF) is holding the awareness week to help the 3,600 people in the UK a year who are affected by meningitis and septicaemia.

They are deadly diseases that can strike without warning, killing one in ten, and leaving a quarter of survivors with life-altering effects such as a loss of limbs.

MRF launched a petition last year calling on the Government to pursue early vaccines.

Chief Executive Christopher Head said: “There is currently no vaccine for meningococcal B disease which is responsible for the majority of cases of disease in the UK and Ireland.

“We must remember that vaccines do not prevent all strains of meningitis and septicaemia yet, so it’s vitally important that the people of Worcestershire are MeningitisWise and remain aware of the symptoms.”

For more information visit meningitis.org

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree