Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
One in five electric blankets tested in Kidderminster 'unsafe'
ONE in five electric blankets checked during a safety testing session held at Kidderminster Fire Station were found to be unsafe to use.
The safety testing session was jointly organised by Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) and Age UK Wyre Forest as part of a “home safe home” event.
Caroline Webster, HWFRS community safety advisor, said: “We tested 70 electric blankets in total and 14 of these failed the safety checks.
“While this is proportionally fewer than at other testing sessions held in Wyre Forest recently, it is still concerning to see so many electric blankets being used in a potentially dangerous condition.”
She confirmed replacement blankets were offered to those whose blankets were tested and found to be defective and urged all electric blanket users to inspect their own products.
“A blanket is no longer used if it has a worn lead or missing connections, any exposed elements, scorch marks or water damage or any creasing or folding,” she added.
Comments are closed on this article.