Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Landlords warned of carbon monoxide dangers
12:10pm Friday 16th November 2012 in Business Daily
AS part of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, the National Landlords Association (NLA) is reminding all landlords of the dangers of carbon monoxide and to check their appliances as winter draws in.
Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, which begins on Monday, aims to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide and the importance of maintaining any gas, oil, wood or coal-run appliances.
The NLA reminds landlords that they are required, by law, to have all gas appliances checked every year and provide the inspection report to the tenant. Using an illegal gas fitter can put lives at risk. Only a Gas Safe-registered engineer should carry out gas work.
Faulty appliances can cause carbon monoxide (CO) leaks. CO is an odourless, colourless and tasteless gas which is highly poisonous and can kill within hours or cause serious illness through long-term exposure.
Exposure to carbon monoxide reduces the blood’s capacity to carry oxygen, causing the body’s vital organs to fail. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness and loss of consciousness.
In addition to carrying out annual Gas Safety checks, landlords can protect their tenants from the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning by installing carbon monoxide detectors in their properties.
The detector will warn tenants of a leak. Landlords should also show their tenants where the emergency gas shut off valve is, in case of emergency. Tenants can contact the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999 if they suspect an appliance is faulty or dangerous.
Richard Price, director of operations at the NLA, said: “It’s vital that landlords are aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide. They should look to have their gas appliances checked every year by a Gas Safe-registered engineer.
“Landlords would also be wise to fit carbon monoxide detectors in each of their properties - it could be the difference between life and death.”
In support of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, the NLA’s gas safety advice and guidance will be free to access.
Landlords can find out more about their gas safety obligations by visiting the NLA’s Online Library at landlords.org.uk/library/safety/gas
Comments are closed on this article.