Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Buried Shuttle to mark Kidderminster church landmark
Special celebration: The Rev Dave George led the 75th anniversary celebrations at Holy Innocents Church in Kidderminster.
A COPY of last week’s Shuttle has been included in a time capsule, which will be buried for 25 years to mark the centenary of a Kidderminster church.
Creating the capsule was part of the 75th anniversary celebrations at Holy Innocents Church, Stourport Road, last Sunday.
The 250-seat church was opened on July 2, 1938 and consecrated by Dr Arthur Perowne, the Lord Bishop of Worcester. It had originally been designed to seat 450 people but was never extended after the first stage of building.
There have been 10 priests during the past 75 years, including current team rector, the Rev Derek Arnold, between 2006 and 2010, and current vicar, the Rev Dave George. The first, from 1938 to 1941, was the Rev Edward Arden.
As part of the activities celebrating the 75th anniversary, youngsters decorated biscuits and wrote cards, which were put into a bag and sent to members of the church no longer able to attend.
A timeline of the history of Christianity and Holy Innocents Church was laid from the altar to the font and people were able to add their own events, such as when they were christened or married at the church.
The timeline will be placed in the time capsule alongside The Shuttle and other memorabilia and photos.
The capsule will be on display for a month before it is buried in August and will be opened in 2038 at the church’s centenary celebration.
Comments are closed on this article.