Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
'Perfect' Bewdley baby boy died of natural causes
6:40am Friday 1st November 2013 in Local
A THREE-week-old “perfect” baby boy from Bewdley died of natural causes at home, a coroner has concluded.
Worcestershire Coroner Geraint Williams said that Blake Davis’ parents, Cassandra Davis and Gary Hough, had nothing to reproach themselves about.
Blake died at home in Cherry Close in Bewdley on Sunday, March 10.
A post-mortem examination was carried out by pathologist Dr Beata Hargitai, who found some evidence of bronchopneumonia and lung infection but said neither issue was significant enough to be named as the cause of death.
Mr Williams ruled that the cause would be listed as sudden unexpected death in infancy.
He told Worcestershire Coroner’s Court: “This was a young boy whose living conditions were exemplary and this is a young boy who was brought up for, all too short a time, in a lovely family environment.
“There is always a fear that the parents should have some something differently or they should have acted in a different way. There is nothing they [Blake’s parents] need to reproach themselves about.
“He was in every way a perfect little boy. When he was put to bed that last night, he had no difficulties, no problems, no worries. Sadly, he didn’t wake from that last night’s sleep.”
Blake was born prematurely by caesarean section at Worcestershire Royal Hospital on February 14.
He was given oxygen to help with his breathing and was kept in hospital for eight days.
Miss Davis, who gave evidence in court, spoke of her fears that Blake had not been given antibiotics to prevent against Group B Streptococcus, a bacteria that she has a history of that can be harmful to newborn babies.
She has five other children and said: “All of my other children had injections for Group B Strep. He didn’t have it and he’s not here.” Mr Williams reassured her that he was confident it played no part in her son’s death.
Paediatrician John Scanlon, who was working at Worcestershire Royal Hospital when Blake was born, said: “It’s a terrible tragedy. This is a very rare situation - the family are extremely unlucky.”
He explained that there were only six cases of unexplained deaths in babies a year in Worcestershire.
Mr Williams added: “It’s sadly the case that medical science is not as far advanced as we wish it to be.
“Sometimes a child will die and we do not know the cause but that is not to arouse suspicion. This is simply one of those tragic occasions.”
Comments are closed on this article.