A WOMAN and her dog have managed to escape a house fire in Bewdley.
Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service were called to the incident in Ironside Close at about 11pm yesterday.
Two fire appliances from Bewdley and Kidderminster attended and with four firefighters in breathing apparatus, a blaze in the kitchen of the detached property was brought under control using two hose reel jets. Fire crews also used ventilation equipment to help clear the smoke from the house.
The kitchen was damaged in the fire and also suffered minor smoke damage.
Station commander Phil Berry said: "A woman was asleep upstairs when she heard the smoke alarm operating. As she came downstairs to investigate she noticed flames in the kitchen and thick black smoke. Luckily she and her pet dog managed to get out of the property using the front door.
"This is a timely reminder to check smoke alarms are in working order. An early alert from a smoke alarm can provide precious extra seconds to escape a fire in the home."