CONCERNS have been raised that a recycling centre in Kidderminster closed for demolition works might not reopen.
Residents are fearful that the Kidderminster Household Recycling Centre could be shut for good after it was temporarily closed earlier this year.
Worcestershire County Council shut the site for four months so a nearby building could be knocked down but the work has yet to start.
People are currently having to use an alternative site in Minster Road, Stourport but there have been claims it has led to traffic chaos.
A worker at the Worcester Road recycling centre, who did not want to be named, said all staff were transferred to the Stourport facility but were concerned about the future of their jobs.
He said during a meeting on Tuesday last week, staff were told there would be a consultation on whether to reopen the site but the county council said it could not confirm whether a public consultation would take place at this stage.
“The majority of staff are concerned about it closing for good,” the worker told The Shuttle.
“I know from experience that the Stourport site will be unable to cope with the volume of people coming. During the weekend it’s difficult to get on the site.”
They claim they have also heard rumours of a public consultation but residents have not been officially informed.
Mr Aston said: “We have been checking to see if the demolition has begun but nothing seems to be happening yet.
“Residents are still turning up regularly to take their rubbish, which proves there is a real need for the facility.
“If you have been up to the Stourport facility since Hoobrook has closed you will see the traffic problems this closure is causing and the idea that the county council will consider not opening again to save money is ridiculous.
“This cost-cutting exercise will just encourage more fly tipping, which will cost someone more in the long run.”
The councillors have sent the petition to homes in the Aggborough and Spennells area of Kidderminster so residents can have their views heard.
Mrs Dyke explained: “It would be good if the county council acknowledge the feeling against any proposed closure, demolish the building as soon as possible and return the facility to its full use.”
Conservative councillor Anthony Blagg, county council cabinet member for environment, said: “During this period of closure the county council will take the opportunity to consider future usage of this site.”