Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Cleobury Mortimer's MP warns about potentially deadly gas
3:10pm Monday 22nd October 2012 in Local
CLEOBURY Mortimer’s MP, Conservative Philip Dunne, has urged his constituents to protect their homes against carbon monoxide poisoning this winter, as weather gets colder and boilers are switched on.
The colourless, odourless gas can kill quickly if inhaled in high concentrations and the symptoms of poisoning are similar to flu or food poisoning and include headaches, nausea and dizziness.
People can protect themselves by having their boiler serviced by a certified technician every year and installing an audible carbon monoxide alarm in their homes to ensure that families are protected from potential leaks of the lethal gas.
Mr Dunne said: “Over two dozen people died from CO poisoning last year in the UK. These tragedies demonstrate It is vital that people understand the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and, most importantly, how we can all protect our homes and families from the threat.
“The message is simple - get your boiler serviced and get an audible carbon monoxide alarm.”
Mr Dunne’s call is part of a national awareness campaign organised by the All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group, a group of MPs from all political parties determined to prevent CO deaths in the UK.
Residents are encouraged to look for warning signs that domestic gas appliances are not working correctly and so could be at risk of CO leakage.
Warning signs include lazy yellow or orange flames on appliances such as boilers and gas stoves instead of crisp blue flames, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
Residents should check the engineer working on their gas appliance has a Gas Safe Register ID card as illegal gas fitters can put livese at risk.
Comments are closed on this article.