Silverware came to Wyre Forest Phoenix Ladies as the won the Hereford and Worcester County cup after losing in the final last year. The County team were already celebrating after their 6-3 win in their last game of the season, when they applauded their club mates on their return to Kidderminster.

Sunday 27 April 2014

Hereford and Worcester Girls and Women's County League

Wyre Forest Phoenix 6 (2) v Drakes Broughton Rangers 3 (0)

The Ladies County played their last game of the season, with only 12 players available, it was good enough to give us a win in this last game in an enlightening 1st season playing open age football. Playing a 4 1 3 2 formation was working well as both strikers were linking up well, and the midfield were winning their battles. It was the midfielders that started our winning ways with both Jodie Fox and Thea Phillips-Howl scoring within a couple of minutes of each other. Jodie's was a fantastic header and Thea's was a looping shot over the keeper. Despite us making many chances this was halftime score, 2-0.

We gave away 2 goals in the space of 3 minutes after the break as our play got slack to make the score 2-2. This seemed to awoke them from their slumbers and within a minute of the restart we were again ahead, this time Sadie Brown, scoring two in succession. This gave us the confidence to go and create more chances, with chances hitting the bar, saved by the keeper and skimming just wide nothing materialised. That was until Melissa Knott finally hit the goal after a number of near misses. Drakes managed to pull one back, but the final goal came via the penalty spot, taken by Melissa who buried the ball in the bottom corner to make the final score 6- 3. Goals : Jodie Fox (1), Mellissa Knott (2), Sadie Brown (2), Thea Phillips-Howl (1).

It was a pleasure to watch today and the opponents chose Holly Baron as player of the match for her outstanding efforts in midfield today, with 2 other players challenging for the honour and catching the eye the eye. Charleigh Lowe, our keeper was fantastic along with the returning Abi Downing who had a great game, both players contributing so much to this win, along with the rest of the team.

The team's final placing in the league is now outside our control as this was our last game, but depending on remaining game results we will either retain 7th as we are at the moment, but can finish no lower than 8th.

HWFA Women's County Cup Final

Wyre Forest Phoenix 3 (2) v Malvern Town 2 (1)

What a fantastic Cup Final this turned out to be for Wyre Forest Phoenix Ladies. Last year they reached the Final and were beaten 5-1 by Premier League Hereford Pegasus. This year Phoenix met Pegasus in the semi-Final and beat them 3-1. All that stood in the way to getting the coveted silverware was Malvern Town. League meetings between the two teams this season had Malvern with the slight advantage as the won the first encounter and drew the second. However, Phoenix do not get beaten easily and were well up for this event.

The game started well for Phoenix and it wasn’t long before hat trick hero Chelsea Mudge got her first of the game on 16 minutes after some great link up play with Heidi Mitchell allowed her into the box to lob the keeper. The many travelling fans were up off their seats!!. However, 5 minutes later and Phoenix were reduced to 10 players for 10 minutes while Kelly Preece was treated for a broken nose. When she came back on there was great support for her. Molly Maguire had a good chance to double the lead after a cross was fired across the box from Heidi Mitchell, but Molly just missed the opportunity. On 40 minutes Malvern levelled the game from a corner but 6 minutes later, Chelsea and Heidi linked up again for Chelsea to slot it under the oncoming keeper to give Phoenix the lead into the second half.

Phoenix made a change at half time and introduced Kirsty Roberts for Bex Meredith who was struggling after an earlier knock. Malvern were the better team in this half and forced Phoenix to be defensive. On 50 minutes they missed a very good chance after keeper Tracy was beaten in the box, with an empty net Malvern hit the cross bar, the ball bounced off the line and was cleared by Phoenix.

On 65 minutes Chelsea came clear to getting her hat trick after a through ball from Vicky gave her just the keeper to beat, but her shot skipped just wide of the upright. 5 minutes later and Malvern again missed a chance when they latched onto a corner only to see the header go wide. But their pressure paid off on 73 minutes when they managed to get a cross in from the right and volley low into the bottom left corner.

The game was forced to extra time and both teams were now feeling tired. The game was sealed by Chelsea Mudge with another lob over the keeper.

An excellent victory and well fought contest by both teams.

Many thanks to all the travelling supporters who cheered them on.