Dunkley double sets Harriers on their way

Embrace: Chey Dunkley relishes his second goal with Kyle Storer and Nathan Blissett. Picture: ADRIAN HOSKINS

Embrace: Chey Dunkley relishes his second goal with Kyle Storer and Nathan Blissett. Picture: ADRIAN HOSKINS

First published in Sport
Last updated

Harriers 3, Alfreton 0

HARRIERS made the perfect start to their home campaign in the Vanarama Conference with a comprehensive win over Alfreton on Tuesday night.

Defender Chey Dunkley bagged headed goals in each half before winger Marvin Johnson scored a third to seal a satisfying night for manager Gary Whild.

The Kidderminster boss had  made two changes from the side which drew 0-0 at Lincoln, drafting in the fit again Jack Byrne and Johnson, while Callum Gittings dropped to the bench and Ahmed Obeng missed out completely.

With Alfreton manager Nicky Law serving a six-game stadium ban, his assistants Ronnie Glavin and Russ O'Neil were in charge.

But the hosts looked comfortable from the start and Byrne went for goal inside the first minute but saw his effort fly wide.

Alfreton offered very little going forward but former Kidderminster attacker Dan Bradley had a long range effort go off target.

But Harriers exploded into life in the and had two good chances in two minutes.

First, Craig Reid raced onto Johnson's pass but his shot crept agonisingly wide of the far post in the 16th.

Dunkley then saw a powerful header cleared off the line.

But the centre back was not to be denied and made it 1-0 in the 24th minute, diving to meet Kyle Storer's corner and heading home powerfully.

Alfreton tried to respond but failed to test keeper Danny Lewis.

Byrne directed an overhead kick wide but Harriers went into the break with a one-goal lead.

But Kidderminster cranked up the pressure on creaky Alfreton.

The hosts had three corners in a row, with one Nicholson delivery flying tantalisingly across the face of goal.

Dunkley then fired wide from a Nicholson delivery and Reid saw an accurate low shot saved by keeper Jon Harris-Stewart.

But the defender made it 2-0 in the 62nd minute, nodding home at the far post from another accurate Nicholson ball.

The home side continued to control the game and stifle the away side.

Midfielder Aman Verma nearly added a spectacular third with a dipping left-footed 20-yard strike from an acute angle.

But Alfeton's keeper was beaten again in the 84th minute when Johnson made a well-timed run and headed home a cross from Jared Hodgkiss to seal a well-deserved win for Harriers.

Harriers:  Lewis, Hodgkiss, Storer, Dunkley, Byrne (Styche, 89), Johnson (Gittings 87), Reid, Blissett (Gash, 76), Verma, Nicholson, Gowling.

Subs not used: Grimes, Singh.

Alfreton: Harris-Stewart, Gray (Stevenson, 74), Rowe-Turner, Graham, Smith, Keane, Wood, Howell (Hicks, 89), Clayton (McDonald, 85), Sheridan, Bradley.

Subs not used: Shaw, McFadzean.

Referee: Ben Toner (Lancashire) Attendance: 1686 (52)


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree