Alfreton fight back stuns Harriers

Harriers 1,  Alfreton 3

HARRIERS saw their ten-game unbeaten home record come to an end as a second half fight back by Alfreton stunned them.

The Aggborough outfit had been leading through Callum Gittings' first half effort.

But they failed to take a host of chances. Things got worse in the second half when Amari Morgan-Smith was sent off in the 66th minute for a second bookable offence.

Former Harriers defender Michael Wylde bagged a brace for Nicky Law's side, before Jon Akinde scored a late penalty.

Harriers welcomed back midfield duo Lee Fowler and Kyle Storer after they served a one-match suspension.

With Lee Vaughan serving a one-match suspension, Danny Jackman deputised at right-back.

Alfreton came with no ambition to attack, with striker Akinde ploughing a lonely furrow up front on his own.

The hosts attacked with purpose and Joe Lolley came  close with a  low effort which flew just wide.

Fowler also saw an effort chipped a fraction off target.

Gittings broke the deadlock in the 17th minute when he lashed a shot which ricocheted in off the post following a good run and pass from Amari Morgan-Smith.

Alfreton's response was to up their work rate and try and disrupt Harriers, which led to a slew of cards.

Akinde was booked for a foul on Storer, whole captain Nick Fenton was shown a yellow for a cynical block on Gittings.

Morgan-Smith was also shown a yellow for a rash push on Fenton, while Dan Bradley picked up a yellow for a foul on Storer.

Bradley Wood was lucky to escape a card for a late challenge on Lolley.

Lolley could have added a second when he sprang the offside trap but the chance went begging when he tried to round keeper Jon Worsnop instead of shooting.

Fenton was lucky to escape a second yellow for a heavy challenge on Micky Demetriou but referee Chris Kavanagh warned he was watching the visiting skipper.

The first half ended with a yellow card for Gittings.

The second half was a more even affair as the away side came out intent on looking fora leveller.

Lolley was unlucky to be booked for a kick after being surrounded by a pack of Alfreton players.

But the home side were dragged level in the 52nd minute. Keeper Danny Lewis missed a ball from the left and Wylde was on hand to fire the ball into an empty net.

Harriers responded well and Morgan-Smith forced Worsnop into a save with a firm effort.

Gash then saw a far post header blocked by Darren Kempson.

But the home side were reduced to ten men when in the 66th minute when Morgan-Smith was shown a yellow card for a clumsy lunge.

The resulting free-kick was played to Tom Shaw on the right and he delivered a ball which the home defence failed to deal with and Wylde fired home with a right footed effort.

Akinde nearly added a third for the away side in the 71st minute but with just Lewis to beat he rolled his effort wide.

Gash saw a thumping free-kick force Worsnop into an instinctive save.

Alfreton continued to look dangerous and Lewis was forced into action by Akinde's firm shot.

The power house striker  finally got on the score sheet in the 88th minute.

The burly hitman had brushed aside Chey Dunkley, who looked as though he was carrying an injury, and was brought down Lewis.

The big hitman rolled his effort into the bottom left corner to confirm a rare home loss for the Carpetmen.

Harriers: Lewis, Demetriou, Storer, Dunkley, Fowler (Malbon, 83), Gash, Jackman, Gittings, Lolley, Morgan-Smith, Gowling.

Subs not used:  Tolley, Grimes, Dance, N  Alfreton: Worsnop, Wood, Franklin, Kempson, Wylde, Fenton, Westwood (Meadows, 46), Bradley, Shaw, Rowe-Turner, Akinde.

Subs not used: Taylor, Clayton, Wishart, McFadzean.

Attendance: 1,834 (57)


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree