Harriers 1, Telford United 0

DARRYL Knights struck late on as Kidderminster finally got the better of a stubborn Telford United side.

Time and time again the Harriers were denied as the visitors got men behind the ball.

When they did work an opening it was a fine goalkeeping display by James Montgomery that kept them at bay.

But they kept plugging away before Knights struck his first goal since returning to Aggborough.

He netted in the 85th minute as the Reds cut the gap to leaders Fylde.

The first half was an even affair for large periods as play continued to be disrupted due a host of early free kicks.

The Reds stuck to their game plan of passing the ball around but were mainly limited to efforts from distance as Telford proved a tough nut to crack.

Harriers eventually created the first opening on 18 minutes when Gnahoua dragged an effort wide.

The winger then rattled the bar a minute later after collecting the ball on the right, cutting onto his left foot and curling a powerful effort at goal.

His shot beat keeper James Montgomery but cannoned off the face of the woodwork and away.

Harriers continued to play the ball around with confidence but were kept out by the determined Telford rearguard.

The visitors' best opening of the half saw midfielder Joel Dielna fail to connect with a header on 28 minutes when looking well placed in the centre of the box.

Elton Ngwatala called Montgomery into action once again just past the half hour mark but again his effort came from distance.

Jordan Tunnicliffe, up for a late free-kick, had time to head over Josh McQuilkin's whipped ball in but it ultimately left Harriers looking like they would need a bit of second half magic to open up the visitors.

However, it was to be United that created the first chance of the second half that saw Alex Palmer pull off a great save to keep it goalless.

Zaine Francis-Angol was robbed of the ball in defence which handed Edward Jones the chance to get in down the right flank and cross for Josh Wilson.

His header was powered on target but kept out by the dive of Palmer.

From that moment on it became a story of the hosts being frustrated by the heroics of Telford keeper Montgomery.

Twice he saved Ngwatala's long range efforts on 55 and 65 minutes before denying sub Liam Truslove from outside the box on 79 minutes.

But Harriers stuck to their guns and we finally rewarded when Knights finally made the breakthrough five minutes from the end.

Gnahoua linked up with Angol down the left before finding Knights in the box at the second attempt.

He took a touch before slotting past Montgomery to hand his side the points.

Harriers did have some defending to do in the closing stages to make sure they came away with the win.

Palmer tipped a long range effort from sub Connor McCarthy over the bar before Luke Higham drilled just wide in injury time.

Ultimately, Harriers had to be patient at times but eventually got what they deserved from the game.

With leaders Fylde dropping points, the Reds have cut the gap at the top to six points ahead of welcoming Nuneaton to Aggborough next week.

Harriers: Palmer, Williams (Austin 75), Franis-Angol, Croasdale, Lowe (c), Tunnicliffe, Knights, McQuilkin, Brown (Dieseruwe 60), Ngwatala (Truslove 75), Gnahoua.

Unused Subs: Waite, Hodgkiss.

Telford: Montgomery, Samuels (McCarthy 88), Higham, Havern (c), McCone, Dielna, Hodge (Cameron 77), Jones, Wilson, Kissock (Donaldson 70), Rea.

Unused Subs: Royle, Hayden.

Att: 1,752 (167)