HARRIERS lost ground on league leaders Fylde on Saturday as they lost 2-1 at play-off chasing Chorley.

Harriers named an unchanged starting eleven for the game, with Andre Brown retaining his place up front after a goal against Curzon Ashton a week prior.

There was one change to the bench; with Mani Dieseruvwe out through injury, Wayne Thomas was left to fill the void.

The game was a physical encounter from the off with full power behind all headers and tackles but, even with that, it was a fine piece of skill that netted the game’s first goal on eight minutes – Jack Sampson deftly flicking an effort in off the underside of the bar when given room to pick his shot.

Harriers almost responded when Tunnicliffe planted a great head just wide off McQuilkin’s cross before, with the best part of half an hour played, a well-taken effort from Chorley’s Witham almost doubled their lead though he struck over.

The visitors ended the half strongly enough and with about eight minutes left of it they caught sight of goal again as another McQuilkin delivery met the head of Williams who rose well to nod over the bar.

It would be Chorley who began the second period just as they did the first – no sooner had Scott Leather turned the ball over with once chance, that their second goal arrived as Jake Cottrell pounced on a sleepy, short goal-kick from Palmer to nick the ball off Croasdale and force it home.

It was a half of precious few chances after that, and even those that did come were half opportunities – Sampson’s effort at one end really going no closer than a shot out of frustration by Gnahoua at the other.

Harriers kept plugging away, though, and pulled a goal back with a quarter of an hour left when a great run from Brown saw him tuck the ball away off McQuilkin’s low cross.

With five minutes of added time they did their best to draw level but could only muster a shot wide from Ngwatala from a late rally.

Harriers: Palmer, Williams (Austin 77), Lowe, Tunnicliffe, Ezewele (Truslove 56), Croasdale, Ngwatala, Knights (Waite 51) McQuilkin, Brown, Gnahoua.

Subs not used: Thomas, Carter.

Attendance: 1.242 Referee: Billy Khatib