Harriers 1, Dartford 0

KYLE Storer hit the winner as Harriers made their best start to a league campaign in nearly a quarter of a century.

After three games, Gary Whild's side have seven points in the Vanarama Conference, the best points haul since the 1990-91 season.

Victory was deserved and if not the heroics of Darts keeper Jason Brown they would have won by a greater margin.

Harriers were unchanged from Tuesday's 3-0 win over Alfreton and they made a storming start to the game.

Nathan Blissett nearly spun onto a Jack Byrne through ball but keeper Jason Brown was alert to the danger.

Striker Craig Reid had a goal disallowed for offisde in the 14th minute after Storer's shot was saved by the impressive Brown and Blissett's effort was blocked.

Byrne then saw two great chances go to waste. First, he headed over the bar following a brilliant surge down the left by speedy winger Marvin Johnson.

At the other end, right-back Jared Hodgkiss cleared a close range shot off the line.

Byrne was denied again in the 33rd minute. The midfielder had made a fine run to get in behind the defence and stretch to meet a fine through ball but Brown, who has played for Wales, raced out to block with his legs.

But Kidderminster finally got the goal they deserved in the 41st minute with a neat move.

Storer had initially started a sweeping move and after receiving the ball off Johnson, he lashed a 20-yard effort into the bottom left corner.

Reid nearly doubled Kidderminster's lead two minutes into the second half.  Good work by Blissett allowed him to fire in a left-footed effort that Brown instinctively got a hand to.

Johnson's pace and control was troubling Dartford right back Nathan Collier and the Harriers wideman glided past the defender and teed up Blissett but a desperate block by Mat Mitchell-King denied him.

In the 58th minute, Johnson delivered a good cross from the right, which Blissett flicked a fraction over the bar with his head.

The away side had barely registered a shot and in the 65th minute, Adam Green saw a speculative long range effort fly wide.

Manager Gary Whild rang the changes with 19 minutes to go, taking off midfielder Byrne and replacing him with centre back Jamie Grimes, who was tasked with adding an extra defensive shield.

But he turned creator in the 76th minute, setting up the luckless Reid, who saw another effort ruled out for offside.

The hosts endured a tense end as Dartford pushed for a leveller but the well-drilled home team held on for a deserved win.

Harriers: Lewis, Hodgkiss, Storer, Dunkely, Byrne (Grimes, 72), Johnson, Reid, Blissett (Gash, 74), Verma, Nicholson, Gowling.

Subs not used: Gash, Gittings, Singh.

Dartford: Brown, Mitchel-King, Daley (Harris, 74), Cornhill, E Bradbrook, McAuley, Green, Collier, Pugh, Crawford (T Bradbrook, 63), Sweeney (Hayes, 63).

Subs not used: Noble, Ibrahim.

Referee: Colin Lymer (Hampshire).

Attendance: 1626 (61)