A TEENAGER has been airlifted to hospital after suffering serious burns in a gas explosion while on board a boat in Stourport on Thursday morning.

Two men and a woman also suffered burns in the explosion on Thursday (October 8).

Crews were called to reports of an explosion near to the Angel Inn, in Severn Side, just after 7.30am.

Two ambulances, a responder paramedic, two senior paramedic officers and the Midlands Air Ambulance from Cosford with a MERIT trauma doctor on board attended the scene.

Malcolm Dawson, who lives in Severn Side, who was one of the first on the scene, said he got up at around 7.20am and heard a loud bang and saw blue smoke coming from the boat.

Mr Dawson said: "I looked out of my window and I could just see blue smoke coming from the boat. I knew something serious had happened.

"I rushed outside and saw the two men on the pontoon and shouted to see if they needed help.

"They said they did, so I quickly rang for the ambulances and fire service, and they arrived shortly after.

"I gave what assistance I could.

"There was blue smoke everywhere."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “When crews arrived they found a boat which had reportedly suffered a gas explosion on board.

“There were four people on board the boat at the time of the explosion. A teenage boy, believed to be 17-years-old, suffered the most serious injuries with significant burns to his hands and face.

“The team of ambulance staff immediately administered pain relief to help stabilise his condition before applying cooling burns dressings to his wounds. The teenager was then airlifted to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, in Birmingham, for specialists burns care. The doctor travelled on board the helicopter.

“A man in his 60s sustained superficial flash burns to his face, as well as a neck injury. He was immobilised on a scoop stretcher and carried off the boat to an awaiting ambulance which then conveyed him to Worcester Royal Hospital.

“A woman in her 60s had second degree burns to her hands, while a man in his 20s had sustained superficial burns to his arms and neck. Both were given burns care on scene by ambulance staff before being taken to Worcester Royal Hospital for treatment.”

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service and West Mercia Police were also in attendance.

A spokesman from HWFRS said: "We attended a boat fire this morning, where one boat was involved in a gas explosion in Stourport.

"Four casualties suffered from burns after the incident.

"Three people were self-rescued, and one person was led to safety by fire crews.

"Three casualties were taken to hospital by land ambulances, and one was air lifted to hospital."

A spokesman from West Mercia Police said: "We were called this morning to reports of an explosion on a boat in Stourport.

"The fire service will be investigating the cause."