DESCENDANTS of a historic Kidderminster mayor came from far and wide on an emotional trip back to their ancestor’s town.

A group of 27 people from Canada, USA, Germany, Switzerland and the UK connected to Daniel Wagstaff Goodwin came on a tour to see memorabilia and buildings related to the former civic leader and successful businessman.

Goodwin became Mayor in 1875 and was the first to wear the new chain and badge of office introduced in that year.

He made his impact on the town as a flour miller and he owned and ran Town Mills in Mill Street while he was also a magistrate.

But, in addition to all this success, he also became a significant benefactor to the town, donating land and money for the building of the College of Art & Science as well as the old library, which was demolished in 1993.

Goodwin also donated the fountain at Blakebrook, which was demolished in 1954 while his former home, The Elms, has also gone.

His ancestors were able to see one building that survives from the Town Mills complex, albeit with a significantly altered architectural appearance.

The group also went to the Town Hall to meet with current Mayor Martin Stooke, one of his predecessors Rose Bishop and representatives from Kidderminster Civic Society who helped framed the itinerary for the day.

As well as enjoying the Mayor’s hospitality, they found the silver trowel Goodwin had used as the Mayor to lay the foundation stone of the new Town Hall.

Their tour saw them visit St John’s churchyard to pay homage to the tomb of Goodwin as well as going to Blakebrook to examine the sites of the fountain and the gateway to the The Elms – the surviving relic to his home.

They also visited the court room and council chamber, posed for a photo with the statue of Sir Rowland Hill – who had a family connection to the Goodwins before the day culminated with a reunion dinner at the Gainsborough Hotel.