A KIDDERMINSTER dad high on drink and drugs broke a lorry driver's leg in two places during a "brutal" attack which left him unable to work for six months.

CCTV footage shows shirtless Jamie Perry repeatedly punching and kicking Polish lorry driver Rafat Sabak in the face and body.

The 29-year-old, of St David's Close, Kidderminster, admitted grievous bodily harm and was jailed at Worcester Crown Court on Tuesday.

The former tree surgeon was also made subject to a criminal behaviour order, banning him from Kidderminster and Bewdley.

The attack happened at the Homebase carpark in Kidderminster on July 14 this year, an offence committed in breach of a suspended sentence order.

Amanda O'Mara, prosecuting, said Mr Sabak had driven to a Polish shop in the town and found the defendant outside drinking vodka.

After the men spoke, Mr Sabak gave Perry a lift in the cab of his lorry to the car park at Homebase.

Miss O'Mara said Perry was being "quite loud", drinking from the bottle and passing it to others, with Mr Sabak "pretending to drink, going along with him to try and keep him calm".

Eventually Mr Sabak and Perry were left alone in the cab but the defendant had fallen asleep and he nudged the defendant to try and wake him.

"When he woke up he was immediately aggressive," said Miss O'Mara.

The lorry driver told Perry he needed to go to sleep in an attempt to get him to go away.

A female arrived by car to take the defendant away but he said: "I'm coming back!"

Mr Sabak was on the telephone to his wife when three men, including the defendant who was not wearing a top, arrived in a Volvo.

The men began looking in the cabs of the parked lorries and Mr Sabak saw Perry, describing him as "pumped up".

Mr Sabak put his hand on Perry's shoulder in an attempt to calm him down but the defendant punched him.

Miss O'Mara said: "Mr Sabak recalls being kicked to the face. He recalls pain in his left ankle, saying he knew straight away it was broken."

He felt pain in his kidney area and when he was attempting to hop away was assaulted again with "repeated blows".

Miss O'Mara said the victim was in no way trying to fight Perry.

She said Perry appeared to be "well-trained, maybe as a kick boxer" and argued there was "a significant degree of premeditation" because the defendant first left the scene and returned with others, playing the leading role in the gang.

The victim's leg was broken in two places and also dislocated. As a result of his injuries, he was told he would not be able to work as a lorry driver for six months.

In a victim personal statement, he described the pain as "terrible" and said: "I don't know why he attacked me. I did not offend him. I was kind to him and polite to him."

Perry has 20 previous convictions for 27 offences dating back to 2003. They include handling stolen goods, assaulting a police officer, attempted robbery, resisting a police officer, battery, criminal damage and threatening behaviour.

Julia Powell, for Perry, said her client was addicted to drink and drugs and also suffered from mental health issues which together "resulted in this dreadful offence".

"Mr Perry concedes it was dreadful and apologises profusely to Mr Sabak.

"He can't really recall anything about it and can give no real explanation save for the fact he was under the influence of those substances," said Ms Powell.

"I know he was upset and embarrassed by what was shown on the CCTV," she said.

She said the father-of-two had lost his job as a tree surgeon and started drinking.

Ms Powell said: "It was a vicious circle essentially. He wasn't allowed to be anywhere near machinery."

He now hopes to become a barber, said Ms Powell.

Recorder Benjamin Nicholls made a criminal behaviour order for six years which prohibits Perry from causing anyone harassment, alarm or distress and from being abusive and offensive.

The order prohibits him from entering Kidderminster and Bewdley.

Judge Nicholls described the attack as "a sustained and brutal assault" and said the lorry driver's gestures had been "placatory".

He said the use of a shod foot was the equivalent to using a weapon - there had been an ongoing effect upon the victim and the offence was committed under the influence of a combination of drink and drugs.

However, he acknowledged that Perry had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity and expressed remorse.

Perry was jailed for two years and two months.