A MURDER trial of a man accused of stabbing another to death with a knife in a Kidderminster flat has started.

Nathan Calder, of Eddy Road, has been charged with murdering Paul Lundy at his flat in Horsefair in May this year.

The 28-year-old appeared at Worcester Crown Court today (Tuesday, November 26) to face trial after previously pleading not guilty.

Court prosecutor Jonas Hankin outlined that the murder took place in the living room of the 48-year-old victim’s home at Maureen Aston Court on Broad Street.

It happened sometime between 7.05pm and 7.20pm on Wednesday, May 22.

The court heard that Calder and Mr Lundy were “socialising with one another” and had been drinking together outside on a car park shortly before the killing.

A post-mortem revealed Mr Lundy had been stabbed three times, once through the right cheek, once through the lower lip and once in the neck.

The court heard the wounds caused significant internal injuries to the victim, which were “rapidly fatal". The body of Mr Lundy was found a day later by his flatmate.

Photographs of the murder scene were presented to members of the jury, which showed a pool of blood on the floor and a blood-stained coffee table.

The court heard that Mr Lundy was known for his “boorish behaviour” and heavy drinking, which could be “too much for people".

CCTV footage of Calder was shown walking to buy alcohol from a Nisa shop on Stourbridge Road around an hour before the killing. Similar cameras showed Mr Lundy making the same trip to the shop to buy alcohol shortly after Calder.

Footage also showed Calder returning to his nearby home on Eddy Road and walking in Horsefair in the early hours of the morning.

After his arrest, Calder was interviewed on six occasions, which included a prepared statement read out to police by his solicitor.

Mr Hankin said: “He claimed that he stabbed Mr Lundy in self-defence because he sexually propositioned and man-handled him.”

The statement read out by Mr Hankin outlines that Mr Lundy displayed his genitals to Calder and asked him to perform sexual acts.

Calder said in his statement: “I panicked and stabbed him with a knife that was on the living room floor. I regret what has happened – it was in self-defence.

“My intention wasn’t to kill him – everything happened so quickly.”

Mr Hankin added: “Whatever the reason, to launch a gratuitous attack with a kitchen knife is completely unjustified.”

The trial is set to continue tomorrow (Wednesday, November 27).