A GOLF club manager has praised his staff and members for trying to save the life of a pensioner who collapsed on the course.

The 72-year-old man, whose identity has not yet been revealed, collapsed while playing on the fifth tee at Ombersley Golf Club on Wednesday (June 24).

Despite fellow golfers performing CPR on the man, staff using defibrillators and the best efforts of the ambulance service, he sadly died in Worcestershire Royal Hospital later that day.

Graham Glenister, the general manager at Ombersley Golf Club, said praised both staff and club members for their heroic efforts.

Mr Glenister said: “One of our members sadly collapsed whilst on the course. We immediately called an ambulance and they arrived within minutes. In the meantime, other golfers sprang to action and performed CPR to try and revive him. It was thought he had had a heart attack.

“Two of my staff went down to the course with a defibrillator. Jordan Aubrey, the assistant manager, was superb in the way he dealt with the tragedy. He is only 23 but he was brilliant – he has been shaken up since.

“Although through the valiant efforts of the everyone involved the man was kept breathing, it was too much and he died shortly after.

“It has affected a lot of the staff and members here.

“It was a tragic and horrible experience and our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.

“Unfortunately it is not uncommon, golfers do tend to be of a certain age and that invites medical difficulties. I have seen many [deaths like this] in my time in the industry, but it doesn’t get any easier.”

A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: “We were called to reports of an elderly gentleman who had collapsed on the fifth tee at Ombersley Golf Club on Wednesday at 3.22pm.

“A fellow golfer performed CPR. The golf course had a defibrillator and while on the line the 999 call handler asked the pro shop to take the defibrillator to the fifth tee and it was used at the scene, until our crews got there.

“A doctor from the air ambulance provided advanced life support and got him back with a ROSC (return of spontaneous circulation).

"He was then able to breathe for himself but he was very poorly. The doctor from the air ambulance travelled with the land ambulance crew to Worcestershire Royal Hospital.”