A SEARCH is ongoing at Stourport's "Blue Lagoon" quarry for a boy who was reported to be in the water on Wednesday afternoon.

The air ambulance was dispatched to Shavers End Quarry at 4.40pm after a male was seen in the water.

Despite a thorough search by emergency services, crews found no sign of the boy.

A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "We were called at 4.40pm to reports of a patient in the water at Shavers End Quarry in Dunley.

Kidderminster Shuttle: Shavers End Quarry, known as the 'Blue Lagoon'Shavers End Quarry, known as the 'Blue Lagoon'

"Two ambulances, two paramedic officers, the trust’s Hazardous Area Response Team, the Midlands Air Ambulance from Strensham and the Midlands Air Ambulance Critical Care Car attended the scene.

"On arrival crews were told a male patient had been witnessed in the water.

"Ambulance crews worked alongside colleagues from the fire service and conducted a thorough search of the water using specialist search and rescue equipment.

"However, despite their best efforts they were unable to locate the patient and ambulance crews were stood down from the incident at 7.27pm."

Police say the search is ongoing for the missing 17-year-old and the quarry remains cordoned off.

A spokesman for West Mercia Police said: "At 4.45pm yesterday afternoon, police were informed an 17-year-old boy had gone into the water at Shavers End Quarry in Dunley, near Stourport.

"Emergency services attended and carried out a search of the lake, searches will continue today.

"A cordon is currently in place to allow emergency services to deal with the incident."

Detective Inspector Justin Taylor added: “We’re supporting the boy’s family as our searches of the lake continue."

Read more:

The quarry has been a problem spot for police for several years, with groups and particularly youngsters gathering at the fenced off area to swim in the water - despite numerous warnings of the dangers.

In May, Wyre Forest Police took to social media to express their disbelief after officers ordered 40 visitors to vacate the quarry in one afternoon.

Among those ordered to leave the area were two families who had taken their babies over the dangerous terrain.

Police described the quarry on Facebook afterwards as "not so much an exotic Caribbean retreat - more a cold, rubbish filled quarry with two cars at the bottom".

In July last year, 18-year-old Jayden Clarke sadly died after hitting his head while swimming in the quarry with friends.