RESIDENTS were forced to evacuate their homes after firefighters were called to a gas leak in Kidderminster.

A crew from the Wyre Forest Hub attended the gas leak in Godson Place just after 8pm on Sunday (September 20) after receiving reports of a smell of gas in the street.

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said several properties were evacuated as a precaution while gas engineers investigated the source of the leak.

A spokesman for Cadent Gas said: "As the gas emergency service, we were called to attend reports of a smell of gas in Godson Place.

“It became clear soon after our arrival that we were dealing with a significant build-up of gas inside this unoccupied property.

“Our engineers took quick action to ventilate it, opening windows and doors, and capped off the supply at the gas meter. This made everything safe.

“The fire service had evacuated the next-door property as an understandable precaution and the residents here were okay to return once we had made everything safe.

“If anyone smells gas, day or night, call the national gas emergency service on 0800 111 999* immediately. Don’t delay, or think someone else will call. It just isn’t worth the risk.”