A DRINK driver who crashed his Mercedes into two other cars and ended up ploughing into a wall in Worcester hid his face outside court.

Marcus Hamer used his jacket to hide his face outside Worcester Magistrates Court yesterday following the crash in The Tything last November.

The 24-year-old, who had been out at a works party, lost control of his Mercedes A Class and hurtled into a wall at the junction of The Tything and St Oswald's Road on Friday. November 19 last year.

Images of the aftermath of the dramatic crash at the time which showed the car, described in court as 'written off', still resting against the wall. 

Hamer of Moor Hall Lane, Stourport was more than twice the drink drive limit when he struck two other cars hitting the wall.

The reading was 79mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath, more than twice the legal limit of 35mcg.

Ralph Robyns-Landricombe, prosecuting, said police received a 999 call from a member of the public at 11.13pm about reports of a two vehicle collision outside the Lamb and Flag public house.

He said: "Initial reports were that there was nobody in the car (the Mercedes) at the time of the 999 call but that debris covered the road."

The Mercedes A200 made contact with a red BMW. Officers arrived at 11.20pm to find 'considerable debris across both lanes'.

"A full road closure was required" said the prosecutor. A parked vehicle - a Volkswagen Golf - had been hit before contact was made with the red BMW. The BMW suffered significant rear off-side damage.

He added: "The Mercedes was found on the opposite side of the road on the junction of St Oswald's Road and had collided head first into the wall and had significant front nearside damage."

Police found Hamer standing with a group outside the Lamb and Flag pub and he identified himself as the driver. 

Mr Ralph Robyns-Landricombe said: "He was smoking a cigarette when the officer approached him. He had two to three small red marks on his face which was assumed to have been from the airbag."

Hamer explained he had been driving home after a work's party in Worcester. "He said he felt like somebody had come onto his side of the road," said the prosecutor.
He told police he only had had two drinks.

Mark Turnbull, defending, said: "I don't think I can overstate it to say he's devastated to find himself in court, to have committed this offence. He deeply regrets what happened on that occasion."

The solicitor said Hamer had made full admissions and gave his explanation 'as best he could'. 

"There was no intention on his part to drive" said Mr Turnbull. Hamer had been at a colleague's leaving do and he intended to have one drink and get a lift or a taxi home.

However, two other friends from outside work arrived he had not expected to be there. "He had paid the full overnight parking charge on the car. His intention was to leave that car there" he said.

Mr Turnbull said Hamer 'couldn't explain why he made that decision (to drive)'. "He has been trying to understand and grappling with that" said Mr Turnbull. "As a result of this incident Mr Hamer was struggling afterwards."

The accountancy firm tax adviser has since resigned from his job. "He felt they were going to dismiss him" said Mr Turnbull.

Magistrates banned him from driving for 18 months.

He was fined £300, reduced from £450 because of his early guilty plea. Hamer was further ordered to pay costs of £135 and a victim surcharge of £34.

However, he was offered the drink driver's rehabilitation course. If completed successfully, the course will result in an 18 week reduction in the length of the disqualification.