HARRIERS’ winless run stretched to six games as they conceded goals in each half during a scrappy loss to relegation-battling Alfreton.

Kidderminster struggled to recover from John Johnstone’s 11th minute opening goal.

On a poor pitch in windy conditions, Karl Hawley bagged a second in the 70th minute.

Harriers have not won since January 20 and have scored just one goal in testing period.

Manager Gary Whild made one change from the side which drew with Halifax.

Reliable left-back Kevin Nicholson dropped to the bench as centre back Jordan Tunnicliffe was drafted in as the away side opted for a 3-5-2 formation.

Jake Green and Jared Hodgkiss were switched to left and right wing backs.

Harriers were on top on in the first ten minutes and Callum Gittings nearly opened the scoring with a well-hit 20-yard effort, which flew just wide of the left post.

But the game’s momentum changed in a matter of seconds in the 11th minute.

Lee Hughes, set up by Aman Verma, was denied by keeper Jason Mooney and Alfreton hit them on the break and an error by Josh Gowling allowed to Johnstone score from close range.

The hosts had the best of the first half but on a badly deteriorating pitch, neither side were able to make any clear cut chances.

Alfreton had to make a change in the 28th minute, when Bradley Wood limped off and was replaced by former Kiddy man Duane Courtney.

Harriers made a change at the start of the second half, with Nicholson on for Tunnicliffe as the away team reverted back to 4-2-1-3.

The change in formation saw Harriers improve and allowed Harriers to keep the pressure on their opponents.

But the hosts still posed a threat and the fleet-footed Johnston curled an effort wide in the 62nd minute.

Jack Byrne had a rare chance for the away team but his scuffed effort was blocked by a defender.

The hard working Hughes created a chance in the 68th minute when he delivered a skidding low ball from the right.

But just when they were looking on top, Kidderminster conceded a second in the 70th minute. Harriers could not clear Andy Thanoj’s free-kick and Hawley bundled home an effort which deflected off the luckless Jamie Grimes.

Harriers threw on wideman Keyon Reffell but it was too little too late as the Aggborough outfit looked for a lifeline.

Alfreton substitute Joe Leesley steered a firm low effort off target but Nicholson saw a well-hit effort fly a fraction wide as Harriers’ best chance went begging.

Former Harriers man Dan Bradley could have inflicted more misery on them but failed to finish off a slick counter-attack during injury time.

Harriers: Lewis, Hodgkiss, Green, Byrne, Wright (Knowles, 60), Grimes, Verma, Gittings (Reffell, 72), Tunnicliffe (Nicholson, 46), Gowling, Hughes.

Subs not used: Reid, Asante.

Alfreton: Mooney, Wood (Courtney, 28), Rowe-Turner, Graham, Bradley, Ironside (Howell, 64), Thanoj, Hawley, Lenighan, Johnston (Leesley, 76), Howe.

Subs not used: Stevenson, Shaw.

Referee: Karl Evans Attendance: 604