Harriers 2, Boston United 0

HARRIERS booked their place in the first round of the FA Trophy with a replay success over battling Boston.

Goals in each half from Elton Ngwatala and Joe Ironside secured the win that hands them a home clash with holders York on December 16.

Harriers were forced to alter their plans ahead of kick-off after defender James Pearson pulled up in the warm-up and had to be replaced by Tyrone Williams.

The disjoined opening exchanges saw Boston employing a high press that made life difficult as the hosts tried to play out from the back early on.

However, the Reds proved clinical when they did finally work the ball forward on the 10 minute mark.

Ironside first forced keeper George Willis to save before the ball was recycled out to Ngwatala on the right flank.

He worked his way into the area before unleashing a powerful left-footed drive past Willis at his near post to hand Harriers the lead.

Tenacious Boston continued to carry a threat of their own and kept the pressure up with a host of dangerous corners.

Visiting skipper Jamie McGuire also fired over from distance on 22 minutes.

Harriers stayed on the front foot though as Croasdale saw an effort tipped away and Ironside fired wide approaching the half hour mark.

The home side began to dominate the ball approaching the break without working a clear opening to add to their tally.

Austin saw a long range shot tipped away by Willis and Ironside and defender Jimmy O'Connor both fizzed first time efforts wide as they attacked low corners.

The start of the second half mirrored the first with Boston quicker out the blocks but Harriers the more clinical.

They could have doubled their lead on 53 minutes after a good break set Ironside away in behind but he had his effort pushed away by Willis.

Ironside didn't have to wait long to get on the scoresheet when he headed home McQuilkin's cross from the left just before the hour.

Boston did have moments of their own as Ashley Hemmings curled just wide of Hall's post and McGuire drilled a low free-kick into the keeper's arms.

But with the advantage of a two-goal cushion, Harriers were soon playing the ball around with their usual confidence.

Sub Mani Sonupe was also quickly in the thick of the action, firing just wide in the 67th minute after another well measured break down the left channel.

Sonupe again saw an effort deflected wide on 83 minutes after another mazy run in-field from the left.

In the end Harriers couldn't add a third but did make sure there wasn't going to be a repeat of the late goals against that forced the replay last Saturday.

Attention now returns to league action and this Saturday's visit of Gainsborough to Aggborough.

Harriers: Hall, Williams, Austin, Croasdale (c), Horsfall, O'Connor, Weeks, McQuilkin, Ironside (Truslove 74), Ngwatala (Danko 90), Brown (Sonupe 56).

Unused subs: Higginson, Eve.

Boston: Willis, Stabana (Clifton 61), Curry, McGuire (c), Beatson, McGowan, Rollins, Broadhead (Vince 84), Thompson, Tshimanga (Smith 69), Hemmings.

Unused subs: Yeomans, Hawley.

Att: 604 (10)