Harriers 2, Tamworth 0

HARRIERS secured a National League North play-off place with victory over Tamworth at Aggborough.

Two quick-fire second half goals from Joe Ironside and Elton Ngwatala, who was making his 100th appearance for the club, saw the hosts overcome a sluggish first period to beat their relegation-threatened visitors.

Harriers were forced into two changes from the side that beat Stockport on Tuesday as Dan Bradley (hamstring) and James Pearson (knee) had to be replaced by Kennedy Digie and Mani Sonupe.

It was then the away side that started the brighter as Harriers struggled to get into any sort of rhythm.

Former Harrier Amen Verma headed over before Darryl Knights dragged wide in the opening five minutes.

The home side just couldn't get their passing game going as moves forward quickly broke down.

It took them until the 23rd minute to work an effort of note as Sam Austin's right-footed shot from the edge of the box was tipped over by Tamworth keeper Jack Stevens.

Sonupe broke the off-side trap moments later after Ngwatala's pass but could only poke the ball at Stevens on the stretch.

Still it was Tamworth that carried the greater threat in the final third approaching the break.

First on-loan Port Vale forward Dior Angus had an effort tipped past the post by Brandon Hall before the stopper did well to keep out Luke Jones' powerful header on 37 minutes.

Attacking left-back Austin remain Kidderminster's best outlet in a disjointed first period. He blazed over after cutting infield on two separate occasions on the stroke of half time.

Despite a flat first period, Harriers should have been ahead just two minutes into the second half when defender Jimmy O'Connor, up for an early Reds corner, fired straight at Stevens from six yards out.

He'd done well to tee himself up but powered an effort down the throat of the stopper with the goal at his mercy.

The hosts continued to be much more livelier, especially down the left flank as Austin and Ngwatala linked up.

They finally broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute when Ironside was on hand to divert Sonupe's right wing cross beyond Stevens after the striker had started the move with good hold-up play on the edge of the box.

The home side added another just three minutes later when Ngwatala marked his 100th appearance in fine style.

Declan Weeks' drive from range cannoned off a defender straight into the attacker's path. He made no mistake from eight yards to roll the ball home.

The Reds were suddenly in control but could have had their advantage halved by Tamworth sub Akwasi Asante on 72 minutes.

Hall got down to save to his right after Knights and Michael Donohue linked up well to provide Asante with a big opening.

That could have made for another nervy ending at Aggborough but instead the hosts were able to see out the closing stages without trouble to record their fourth straight success to guarantee a play-off spot.

Harriers: Hall, Digie, Austin, Croasdale (c), Horsfall, O'Connor, Weeks, McQuilkin, Ironside (Waring 80), Ngwatala (Truslove 85), Sonupe (Brown 75).

Unused subs: Stratford, Vaughan.

Tamworth: Stevens, Burns, Sharpe, Kettle, Jones (c), Lane (Asante 68), Donohue, Verna, Angus, Taylor, Knights (Davies 84).

Unused subs: Upton, Shaw, Powell.

Att: 1,821 (105).