HARRIERS failed to capitalise on another chance to go top of National League North when they were held to a 1-1 draw at Nuneaton Borough.

With midfielder Declan Weeks sidelined with illness, Harriers were forced into one change to their starting eleven for the game, with James Baxendale in to replace him and earn his first league start of the season.

Having signed 24 hours previously, ‘new’ addition Russ Penn was forced to make do with a spot among the days’ substitutes.

The home side had undoubtedly had the better share of the first half chances but, ironically, it was Harriers who could have taken the lead inside three minutes when Taylor squared for Bradley who drew a fine save from Cameron Belford between the sticks before Lee Vaughan sliced wide from the rebound.

Five later, McGurk’s well-taken free-kick needed tipping over by Hall before Horsfall’s timely intervention denied Angus as he shaped to shoot. With 13 on the clock Hall was almost left red faced; Baker spotted him off his line and chanced his arm with a lob from the halfway line that only just dipped over the target.

Past the half hour, Baker again struck off target but the last of the opportunities before the break came the way of Harriers – Chambers sweeping the ball out to Bradley who in turn switched it to Taylor, in on goal, who saw his shot toward the top corner well kept out by Belford.

McGurk was at the point of another attack eight minutes after the restart when he drove wide from a a cross when very well placed, Harriers going close three minutes later at the other end when Bradley’s cross was met by Chambers, whose shot was deflected off target.

Angus then thrashed a shot into the side-netting for Nuneaton, but six after the hour Harriers were ahead, O’Connor found by Williams at a free-kick and the ball crashing into the net with the aid of a deflection.

Nuneaton responded well, though, and Panayiotou spurned two good chances – seeing one blocked and firing another over the bar – before the leveller arrived on 77 minutes, Davies left free to stab home a ball in the area after Vaughan’s clearance lacked conviction.

There were late chances for more goals; Williams saw a free-kick held and, on as a sub, Ironside could only direct a header right at the goalkeeper who smother it away and over the bar.

HARRIERS: Hall, Vaughan, Taylor, Horsfall, O’Connor, Johnson, Daniels, Baxendale (Penn 62), Williams, Chambers (Ironside 86), Bradley (Richards 77).

Unused subs: Digie, Austin.

Attendance: 654 Referee: Amy Fearn