KIDDERMINSTER'S unbeaten away run this season continued with victory over Leamington.

KCs were favourites to win this match but in blustery conditions that did not favour their quick handling game, it took them some time to get into their stride.

The hosts, playing with the wind, capitalised on Kidderminster’s handling errors and applied intense pressure for the first 15 minutes of the game. Firmly camped inside KC’s 22-yard area, Leamington eventually scored, when their scrum-half dummied his way through and touched down near the posts. The conversion made it 7-0 and KCs were to trail for the whole of the first half.

From the kick-off KCs showed more energy and pushed into the Leamington half. Eventually this pressure was rewarded when KCs pushed their hosts over their own try line and Phillips was awarded the try. Freddie Morgan failed with the conversion attempt.

From the kick-off KCs knocked on and this led to Leamington seizing the initiative and pinning KCs into their own half. From a lineout Leamington drove for the line and there was little KCs could do to prevent another pushover try and with the successful conversion, the score stood at 14-5 after almost 30 minutes of action.

However, KCs hit back and with a clever kick-off won more possession and began to string some passing movements together. With the scrum working well, KCs launched several promising attacks and Rob Phillips touched down following a good handling move. The conversion was missed, so the score remained at 14-10.

The next 10 minutes saw some lively action with Phillips just failing to get his pass away when a last-ditch ankle-tap grounded him and Rhys Pritchard, playing at stand-off, almost breaking through. Just before half-time Leamington went further ahead when KCs were penalised for off-side in front of their own posts. The score at half-time was 17-10 and the hosts deserved their lead, having dominated the territorial battle.

Kidderminster started the second half well with Nicklin catching the kick off and the forwards running hard led by Simon Clarke. With a fresh front row, the scrum still dominated and new face Lucas Beech on the wing showed up well in fielding a Leamington clearance kick.

Pressure eventually told and lock forward Jack Tunstall grounded the ball at the base of the post. A successful kick made it 17-17.

Andy McLellan was harnessing the wind and pinning Leaminton back with kicks to touch. However, the Leamington Number 8 was running strongly with the ball and it took some last-ditch tackles to bring him down.

The Leamington Number 10 kicked a penalty to put them three points ahead. With their backs to the wall, KCs produced the move their supporters had been praying for. From well inside his own half Ryan Tiene, the left-winger, raced away and, faced with the last defender, fed McLellan backing up inside for the veteran centre to score beneath the posts.

This was the first time KCs had been in the lead but at 20-24 the issue was not beyond doubt.

KCs were now camped inside Leamington’s half and running the ball whenever possible. They won a lineout and, with a well-worked move, drove down the blind side. The opposition were caught napping and Phillips charged over to record his third try.

The successful conversion meant KCs could breathe easily and, although Leamington fought strongly to reduce the arrears, the score stayed at 31-20 to Kidderminster.

KCs entertain Nuneaton Old Edwardians this Saturday, a team sitting just one place below them in the table.