Harriers 1, York 2

HARRIERS tasted their first defeat under returning boss Mark Yates as a well-drilled York City left Aggborough with the spoils.

Kidderminster were behind for much of the clash following Kallum Griffiths’ fine first-half strike and looked short of ideas for long spells before Joe Ironside’s leveller with 15 minutes left on the clock.

But after finding a way back into the clash they saw it slip away late on when Scott Burgess netted a spectacular winner.

Reds made one change from the side that beat Chester the week before as Billy Daniels came in to replace the injured Declan Weeks in midfield.

It was the visitors that worked the first effort at goal as Alex Kempster’s weak effort was easily gathered by Brandon Hall after just two minutes.

Harriers enjoyed a decent spell of their own, however, and soon worked their first chance as Nick Clayton-Phillips’ shot from the edge of the area was tipped round the post by York keeper Adam Bartlett.

Liam McAlinden poked a far post shot at Bartlett moments later as more direct running down the flanks caused the visitors problems.

The clash remained evenly balanced in the opening exchanges as Hall had to claw away a deflected drive from Scott Burgess on 12 minutes.

Harriers were then forced into an early change as Ash Chambers, who looked to be carrying a knock, had to be replaced by Kane Richards after 23 minutes.

Both sides continued to battle for supremacy in the game but it was York that were creating the chances.

Burrow glanced a header wide on the half hour mark before the visitors eventually broke the deadlock a minute later.

Kallum Griffiths cut in from the right flank and drilled his left-footed shot beyond Hall from 20 yards.

Reds looked for a quick response to going behind as neat build-up play on the edge of the box freed Joe Ironside in the box on 35 minutes. However, the forward took two touches too many and saw his shot blocked by the recovering defenders.

Harriers couldn’t find a leveller before the break as Bartlett remained untroubled.

They hosts needed a response early in the second period but still couldn’t find a way of further testing Bartlett.

Too often they relied on early balls up to Ironside without getting the support close enough to the target man.

Yates threw on Ed Williams just past the hour mark to try and add more attacking threat.

York, meanwhile, looked to play on the break and could have bagged a second had Burgess picked out a team-mate after getting in down the left channel.

Williams did finally test Bartlett on 69 minutes but the keeper was able to gather his shot from range without too much difficulty.

Harriers did find a way back with 15 minutes left on the clock after he converted from close range following Liam McAlinden’s free-kick into the dangerzone.

The hosts were soon on the front foot after the equaliser as Clayton-Phillips curled over and Ironside headed another chance just wide of the target at the far post.

Harriers continued to press heading into the closing stages but it was York that struck the killer blow with just seven minutes left on the clock.

Burgess collected the ball 20 yards out in a central position, lifted it over the first defender and volleyed brilliantly beyond Hall.

Ironside saw a late shot deflected narrowly wide as Harriers dropped to 10th in the table.

Harriers: Hall, Austin, Taylor, Daniels (Williams 63), Horsfall (c), Johnson, Clayton-Phillips, Butterfield, Ironside, Chambers (Richards 23), McAlinden.

Unused subs: Penn, Higginson, Weaver.

York: Bartlett, Griffiths, Ferguson, Moke, Murfin, Newton, York, McLaughlin, Burrow (c), Burgess, Kemster.

Unused subs: Law, Bencherif, Harris, Whitley, Parkin.

Att: 1,598 (147).