HARRIERS picked up a major win in their quest to crash into the National League North play-offs - a 2-1 victory over Spennymoor Town.

Boss Mark Yates made a bold call before the game in dropping skipper Fraser Horsfall in handing a start and debut to new arrival, Harry Flowers, who'd joined from Solihull Moors the day before. Also back in the starting line-up was Milan Butterfield, who was favoured over Russ Penn.

The home side began well with Ironside, Chambers and McAlinden all seeing sight of the Spennymoor goal, before the opener arrived on 21 minutes; Harriers with a fine move that belied the blustery conditions, McAlinden driving at the Moors defence before playing in Chambers who slotted home.

Ten minutes later, only a fine save from Gould, the visiting goalkeeper, prevented Chambers and Harriers from grabbing a second, a close-range shot well saved.

Early goals in the second half of matches has proved to be a regular occurrence for Harriers this season and there was another here, just four minutes having elapsed after the break when Spennymoor pulled level. Hall had pulled off a save to keep out an effort from one of his own players – no one watching Taylor on the follow-up as he nodded in a recycled cross at the far post.

Harriers weren’t deflated, though, and they quickly re-established their lead. McAlinden was, yet again, the provider as his ball was taken down by Chambers and planted beyond Gould for 2-1.

Taylor remained by far the biggest threat for the visitors, however, and either side of the hour had chances to net, the latter of two attempts seeing a header drop narrowly wide.

On 64 minutes, Williams drove at distance to try and make it 3-1, the ball deflected wickedly off the foot of Ironside before landing in the lap of an otherwise-bamboozled goalkeeper. Up at the other end soon after, a fairly end-to-end affair almost saw Spennymoor level, only for Hall to get down well and smother Tuton’s effort.

In the final 15 minutes of the encounter, Hall did well to keep out danger from Chandler and substitute Boyes, with McAlinden curling wide with one of the home side’s better, late attempts.

Spennymoor had thought they’d equalised in injury time, but Taylor’s header was ruled out after the referee spotted a foul on a Harriers defender – the relief soon joined by the final whistle.

Harriers: Hall, Austin (Horsfall 78), Taylor, Butterfield (Penn 90), Flowers, Johnson, McAlinden, Daniels, Ironside (Thomas 78), Chambers, Williams.

Subs not used: Palmer, Richards.

Attendance: 1,436 Referee: Benjamin Speedie