Report submited by Kidderminster Carolians

KCRFC  38 - 27 Stourbridge Lions

Kidderminster were seeking their first league win of the season against local rivals Stourbridge, this they duly did providing their supporters with an early Christmas present.

With 5 minutes of the game gone KC’s took the lead, a movement which began on the half way line was halted some 15 meters from the try line, a powerful and controlled maul allowed Simon Clarke to touch down for the try which was converted by And McClellan.

Stourbridge hit back with  a try wide out created by a combination of their good handling and some weak tackling by Kidderminster, score was now 7 - 5.

The following 15 minutes was KC’s poorest part of the game, pressure being undone by a succession of penalties and lack of discipline, fortunately this was short lived and with 30 minutes gone they increased their lead with a try scored by Scott Lovell again converted by Andy McClellan, the score was now 14 – 5.

With 5 minutes of the half remaining Stourbridge produced a strong attack through their three quarters, this was held up in the in goal area, from the resultant scrum the ball was quickly moved to the right and the KC’s defence was stretched allowing Stourbridge to score an unconverted try to reduce the deficit 14 – 10.

On the stroke of half time another series of strong drives by the Kidderminster forwards was eventually passed along the backs and Ryan Tiene scored.

The half time score read 19 – 10 in Kidderminster’s favour.

Within minutes of the restart Stourbridge scored a try, an excellent kick to the corner went behind the Kidderminster defence and a try was scored wide out.

The score now was 19 -15. As the game progressed the KC’s scrum became more and more dominant and from another powerful drive Tom Mayer went over to increase the lead to 24 – 15, back came Stourbridge with another try in the corner thus reducing the deficit to 5 points.

Kidderminster regularly threatened to increase their lead, however, a series of careless penalties eased the pressure on their opponents.

With 5 minutes of the game remaining Kidderminster were attacking strongly, the ball was turned over allowing Stourbridge to run the length of the field and score a try which was converted, they now led by 24 – 27.

This lead was short lived,from the kick  off KC’s quickly regained the ball, more powerful play by the forwards and an excellently timed pass produced a try for Will Roff, converted by Andy McClellan to give Kidderminster a 31 – 27 lead.

As the game went into injury time the home side won a strong scrum, the ball was picked up by Tom Maher who raced some 30 meters before being stopped, from the resultant ruck the ball was transferred to Dave Kane to score, Andy McClellan added the conversion and the match ended with Kidderminster deserved winners 38 – 27.