Kidderminster Carolians began their final league game of the season looking as if they could blow Old Coventrians away.

In the first five minutes KC got quick ball around the halfway line and spun the ball down the line to Ryan Tiene who easily outpaced the defence scoring under the posts giving Jack O’Hagan an easy conversion. Two minutes later, KC possession on the halfway allowed Tiene to score his second try and Jack O’Hagan added the conversion.

Coventrians came back into the game, particularly through the set scrums where their weight advantage allowed them to push KC off several scrums. This situation led to the first try for Coventrians which was not converted.

Another Coventrians incursion into the KC 22 was reversed when George Tildesley intercepted five metres out and ran the length of the field unchallenged to score, the conversion was missed.

Further possession for KC was passed down the line allowing George Tildesley to outflank Coventrians' defence and trot 70 metres to score, Jack O’Hagan adding the conversion. KC gained the ball on their 22 and spun the ball to Ryan Tiene for him to easily outpace the defenders to complete his hat-trick, O’Hagan again added the conversion.

Just before half time it was Coventrians turn to make an interception and breakaway on the halfway line for a converted try under the posts.

After the restart, the next KC try was through a forward drive, Morgan Maxwell making good ground from the opposition 22 and when KC were awarded a penalty Ryan Wainwright driving through to score. Forward pressure from Coventrians earned them another try restricting the KC lead. The next score for KC was well earned. The forwards had put pressure on the Coventrians line, gained a penalty which, taken short, was fed to Ryan Wainwright who from 8 metres out ran a line straight at the defence his strength taking him over the line to score, Tom Dalton converted.

Just before the final whistle Coventrians earned a scrum penalty, fed the ball through their backs for their winger to score close to the touchline; giving the win to KC at 27-45.

KC now look forward to next week when they play Evesham in the semi-final of the North Midland Shield.