HARRIERS ended their goal drought against promotion-chasing King’s Lynn Town, deservedly taking a point from an entertaining 1-1 draw at Aggborough.

Ashley Hemmings had his side in front early in the first half before the high-flying Linnets levelled, the hosts almost snatching a dramatic late victory in the final seconds through Amari Morgan-Smith.

Following the midweek slump at Chester, Russ Penn rang the changes with three names dropping from the eleven, not helped by the injury sustained in that game by Alex Penny and the continued absence of Krystian Pearce.

Christian Dibble came in between the sticks with Tom Palmer missing out, while Tom Owen-Evans dropped to the bench in favour of Zak Brown. Reiss McNally filled the void left by Penny.

Shooting towards their own supporters in the first half as something of a departure from the norm, Harriers were ahead on ten minutes. A driving run and powerful cross from Caleb Richards proved too much for goalkeeper Sam Blair to handle, and Ashley Hemmings took a touch on the loose ball before netting his eighth of the season and a first Harriers goal for some 500 match minutes.

It was a lead that would last just eight minutes. Joe Foulkes was unaware of the threat of Olly Scott inside the area and brought him down, marksman Gold Omotayo stepping up to power home a penalty past Dibble and into the net.

At 1-1 the visitors had half sights of goal through Tom Hughes and Omotayo, while Harriers stayed lively up at the other end and had a chance to make it 2-1 when Hemmings saw his 33rd minute shot saved by Blair, Kai Lissimore then seeing his dipping drive drop over the top of the target.

King’s Lynn were brighter to start the second half and if they could’ve taken the lead through Josh Barrett’s low shot, really should have when Theo Widdrington saw a close-range effort blocked on the line in a piece of last-ditch Harriers defending.

Two after the hour Hemmings headed over Byrne free kick with a golden chance to add to his tally, before firing over with a free kick from 18 yards.

While Harriers created a greater number of openings, the Linnets arguably created clearer-cut ones. On 71 minutes, the influential Widdrington fired into the chest of Dibble after running into open space, before the hosts hooked another one from Dibble’s goal line.

Nat Knight-Percival’s header from a corner came with 76 minutes played, before the biggest chance of all came deep, deep into four minutes of added time. Zak Brown was in space and occupied the defence, leaving Morgan-Smith free to slip into the area. On the angle, his shot beat the advancing keeper Blair, but was scuppered by a defender on the line who prevented what would have been a certain goal.

After a run of midweek matches, Harriers have a ‘free’ week this week before travelling the short distance to Gloucester next Saturday, 18th.