HARRIERS picked up just a second win of the National League season after edging a crucial meeting with Dorking Wanderers 1-0 at Meadowbank Stadium.

Bailey Hobson’s first half goal was enough to gift Russ Penn’s charges the three points in what was a crunch clash with another of the early season strugglers.

The victory was also enough to move the side off the foot of the National League table with 14 games played.

Searching for a formula to arrest his team’s poor run of form, boss Russ Penn made two changes to his starting eleven.

Sammy Robinson, off the back of a promising 45 minutes from the bench on his debut at the weekend, came in for a first Harriers start, while midfielder Barry Maguire was drafted back into midfield. Ashley Hemmings and Zak Brown dropped to the bench.

Harriers were ahead at the break and deservedly so after controlling much of the play. Amari Morgan-Smith, as early as the first minute, set the tone with a downward header that Harrison Male in goal held well.

Gerry McDonagh then had a brace of chances, seeing one effort blocked before forcing Male into a smart near-post save, all inside the first ten minutes.

Hobson’s first sight of goal for the night came three minutes later as he purposefully charged towards goal before shooting wide of the upright, Alex Penny then seeing an effort blocked after Male made a hash of a clearance inside the area.

The breakthrough came with four minutes left of the half, Joe Leesley holding up a relatively lost cause before laying the ball into the path of Hobson who smashed it into the roof of the net.

Within two minutes Harriers were within a lick of paint of making it two – Morgan-Smith rising in the area to meet McDonagh’s ball but seeing his header hit the bar.

Harriers created less in the second half but, crucially, withstood the home onslaught without conceding too many clear-cut chances.

Amari Morgan-Smith curled a Harriers effort over the target, with Dorking going close when Captain George Frankcomb hit the bar from six-yards out when it looked easier to score, marksman Jason Prior also striking straight at Christian Dibble.

Harriers might have put the game beyond doubt when things became stretched in the final minutes, but despite a three-on-one breakaway, the chance fizzled out as McDonagh tried to fashion a finish.

Six minutes of added time added further pressure but, in truth, the visitors always looked in control.

Harriers return home on Saturday for the National League visit of Wealdstone.

The club have reduced standing terrace admission prices at the stadium to £10, with tickets available from the Ticket Office or website.