HARRIERS saw their FA Cup dreams extinguished at the hands of a professional League 1 Fleetwood Town side who triumphed 2-1 at Aggborough.

A potential shock looked to be on the cards before half time when Bailey Hobson’s goal gave the hosts the lead against oppositions who play two divisions higher.

The Cod Army hit back with devastating impact, scoring almost immediately after to keep things level at the break, the winning goal coming just seconds after the restart.

Fleetwood created a number of openings to have won more comfortably, and ultimately secured a reasonably comfortable passage into the Second Round where they’ll travel to league rivals Cambridge United.

A disappointed Russ Penn said after the full-time whistle: “I’m really disappointed with the second half showing.

“When we’re in the position we’re in and we’re lacking confidence, the least you’ve got to do is show a little bit of fight, and we didn’t show that today.

“The moments and the timings of the goals really hurt us today… it sapped the energy out of the whole crowd.

“There’s a lack of confidence around the place, but you’ve got to give yourself a better platform and be in the game for longer.

“The first goal has affected us for the second goal, and we haven’t come out in the second half good enough.”

Harriers opted to make one change to their starting elven while reverting to a central defensive duo rather than the three employed against Chesterfield.

It meant Hobson was restored to the eleven after being granted permission by the Spireites to play as part of his loan deal – the suspended Reiss McNally the man to drop out. Ryan McLean was also given the nod to feature by AFC Wimbledon.

Fleetwood should’ve netted a 21st minute opener when skipper Josh Vela nodded wide of the target when well placed.

Josh Earl then also headed wide of the target before Harriers had the lead, Brown freeing McLean who crossed low for Hobson to plant the ball beyond Jay Lynch.

Seconds later, though, Fleetwood were level as Earl’s header bounced and squirmed into the far corner of the net.

Any plans put in place at the interview were knocked into the dust within a minute of the second half. Earl turned supplier, given too much room to drop the ball on to the head of the onrushing Shaun Rooney who made no mistake from eight yards.

The EFL visitors had openings to extend their lead. Marriott shot wide with one effort and drew Dibble into a good save with another, with the Harriers custodian thwarting Ben Henegan in between.

Harriers head back into National League action on Saturday, 11th November when they travel to Aldershot Town, fresh from their 7-4 hammering of League 2 side Swindon Town in the Cup.