STRUGGLING Kidderminster Harriers remain rooted to the foot of the National League after another defeat, losing 1-0 to Dagenham & Redbridge at Aggborough Stadium.

A fifth defeat in six in all competitions leaves them a sobering six points adrift of safety with only 14 on the board in total for their season’s work so far.

It was a tepid game at best against a midtable Daggers side, but an oft-told story reared its head once again as Harriers were punished for a defensive lapse and an opposition who netted from their only chance of the day.

Conversely, despite an assortment of attacking options being on show, the hosts failed to muster a single clear-cut chance of note throughout.

Assistant Manager Jimmy O’Connor said after the game: “It hurts everyone in the ground associated with Kidderminster today.

“We came into today fired up and fully aware of where we are and the challenge that lies ahead, [so] to lose in the manner we did hurts.

“I thought we defended well in the first half and looked a threat at times… it’s not quite there, but it was 0-0 at full time and we were fully in the game.

“It was a game we could go on and win but, at the minute, it’s almost like we’ve forgotten how to win games.

“It’s a tough place to be. I’m going to shy away and hide away from it.

“If you come away at 0-0, we’re disappointed, but to lose the game the way we did was devastating.”

Harriers had made two changes going into the tie. Matt Preston finally completed his recovery from injury to make a first start since early August, while Zak Brown was also restored to the eleven.

They were certainly the brighter of the two at the start of the clash; Bailey Hobson had a tenth minute shot smothered at close range by the goalkeeper – Preston heading over the target from the corner that followed.

Half chances came the way of Ben Tollitt and Amari Morgan-Smith around the half hour, but neither could fashion an effort on target.

The second half yielded even less of note, though Dagenham came more into the contest around the hour when Jake Hessenthaler shot over with one effort and, later, nodded over from close range with a more serious opportunity.

The pivotal moment arrived with eight minutes left of normal time. Harriers allowed the ball to bounce in the six-yard box as Dagenham pushed, and Tom Eastman was on hand to stab the ball home at the far post to the glee of 100 or so travelling fans.

Harriers have another chance to get points on the board this coming Tuesday night when Hartlepool United travel to Worcestershire, with a proverbial six-pointer against Oxford City next weekend looming large.