Wrexham 1, Harriers 1

A DRAW felt more like a victory for fluent football as new manager Gary Whild laid the template for Harriers’ potential resurgence on Saturday.

Kidderminster earned a handy point in North Wales and could count themselves unlucky not to take all three.

The visitors were the better team, particularly in the second-half where they were thwarted by Dragons’ keeper Andy Coughlin.

But the Kidderminster fans were cock-a-hoop at the impact Whild has had on their team.

Before kick-off he was given a standing ovation by the 289-strong travelling army and at the full-time whistle they sang his name with gusto after watching the Aggborough outfit give their all.

The safety first style which previous boss Andy Thorn had tried to impose was swept away for a much more proactive and eye-catching ethos.

Whild also saw the recall of Danny Lewis in goal and Jamie Grimes in central defence pay-off.

Grimes had not played for Kidderminster since the FA Trophy loss to Bradford Park Avenue in November but his loan spell at Worcester rebuilt his confidence.

When a rusty Lewis spilled a ball into the path of striker Andy Bishop in the fourth minute, the defender made a well-timed block.

Lewis improved as the game wore on and he produced a fine save at the death, showing great athleticism to tip over Brett Ormerod’s dipping 30-yard effort.

But it was Coughlin who was by far the busier keeper, denying Amari Morgan-Smith, Anthony Malbon and Lee Vaughan.

Wrexham were reduced to 10 men in the 79th minute after Bishop was shown a second yellow card for fouling Callum Gittings.

Whild said: “I thought in the second-half we got ourselves into some great positions.

“We looked good on the eye as well and on another day we deserved a goal. If you go away from home in this league and manage to keep a clean sheet no matter where you play you’ve got to be happy with that.”

HARRIERS: Lewis 7, L Vaughan 6, Storer 7, Malbon 6, Grimes 7, Jackman 6 (O’Keefe, 63), Gittings 7, Morgan-Smith 6, CIESLEWICZ 7 (Johnson, 85), Gowling 7. Subs not used: Rowe, N Vaughan, Bell.

WREXHAM: Coughlin, Wright, Ashton, Livesey, Harris, Bishop, Keates, Tomassen, Hunt (Ogleby, 70), Anyinsah (Ormerod, 77), Carrington. Subs not used: Mayebi, Evans, Artell. Referee: Peter Bankes Attendance: 3159 (289).