Harriers 1, Dartford 0

THE last time Harriers picked up seven points from their first three league games, Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister but the Aggborough outfit aren’t getting too carried away.

Kyle Storer’s 41st-minute strike ensured Kidderminster earned a victory against a doughty Dartford side.

Itsy Bitsy Yellow Polka Dot Bikini was top of the charts in August 1990, which was the previous time that a Kidderminster side had won two and drew one in their first three matches.

But there’s no doubt Gary Whild’s side are playing a far more pleasing tune than Timmy Mallett’s ear worm for Kidderminster’s supporters.

If not for the heroics of ‘keeper Jason Brown, who demonstrated the reason why he played three times for Wales’ senior international side, the hosts would have won by a larger margin.

Harriers required something special to win the game and Storer finished off an eye-catching move.

The former Nuneaton man started the slick attack when he found Marvin Johnson and then arrived on the edge of the box after a typically surging run to receive the return ball and slam a low effort into the bottom corner.

It was a quality strike and the only way that an inspired Brown was going to be beaten. Dartford’s gifted stopper showed superb reactions in the tenth minute to get hand to Craig Reid’s fine shot.

The former Newport hitman is still waiting to open his account for Kiddy, but if he keeps playing like this it won’t be long.

He had efforts in the first and second half ruled out for offside, while a left-footed drive was instinctively saved by the impressive Brown.

Jack Byrne also had chances, heading an effort wide after fine build-up play from Johnson, who deservedly was named man of the match after an incisive display.

Byrne had an effort blocked by the ‘keeper’s knees.

With Johnson giving Dartford right back Nathan Collier a severe examination of his defensive capabilities and Aman Verma’s smart accurate passing, Harriers had plenty of creativity to go with their industry and effort.

At the other end, ‘keeper Danny Lewis, protected by a well-drilled back four, could have pulled out a deckchair and put his feet up until the final 20 minutes, but he demonstrated his experience with some well-timed punches as the visitors pushed.

“I had every confidence in the lads to hold out and if you look at the two ‘keepers, Danny Lewis has not had a save to make,” said Whild.

“At 1-0, Dartford had balls coming into the box but to be fair to the lads they defended excellently, we won our headers and anything that dropped down we dealt with.”

HARRIERS: Lewis 7, Hodgkiss 7, Storer 7, Dunkley 7, Byrne 6 (Grimes, 72), JOHNSON 8, Reid 6, Blissett 7 (Gash, 74), Verma 7, Nicholson 7, Gowling 7. Subs not used: Singh, Styche.

DARTFORD: Brown, Mitchel-King, Daley (Harris, 74), Cornhill, E Bradbrook, McAuley, Green, Collier, Pugh, Crawford (T Bradbrook, 63), Sweeney (Hayes, 63). Subs not used: Noble, Ibrahim.

Referee: Colin Lymer (Hampshire). Attendance: 1,626 (61)