Jimmy O’Connor says Harriers netted an early Christmas present with Nathan Cameron’s injury-time equaliser in the 1-1 draw at Curzon Ashton.

Harriers were second best for much of the night at the Tameside Stadium and looked set for a first defeat since October thanks to a goal early in the second half.

But with the game deep into its final moments, defender Cameron’s finish amid a goalmouth scramble ensured they travelled back to Aggborough with a share of the spoils.

Speaking after the full-time whistle, Assistant Manager O’Connor was measured in his assessment. Though keen not to over criticise the team who are in the midst of a 12-game unbeaten run, he accepted the showing on the night was far from good enough.

“It’s a bit of an early Christmas present,” he said. We have absolutely got away with one. We know that and the players know that.

“We’re all hugely disappointed with the performance… we know we can be ten times better at least.

“We have to take the positives – we haven’t given in as a group, the boys have kept going and shown great character and belief to keep going and nick a goal completely against the run of the 90 minutes.

“To get something from a game like that is huge, and in successful seasons you probably need a couple of them.

“You can’t rely on performances like that, but you’ve got to take great confidence that you can dig something out and get a point away from home against a team like this when you’ve played that badly.”

While Harriers had started brightly, it was Curzon who settled into the game and created the lion’s share of the first half chances, Wilson, Hobson and Curran going close, while Bajrami’s tame effort at the other end was the sum of the visiting effort before the break.

The hosts, themselves in and around the play-offs themselves, stole ahead just two minutes after the restart as Poscha diverted a set-piece ball into the net.

Harriers were indebted to Luke Simpson who made strong saves from Hobson and Poscha as the half wore on – stops that were to prove crucial as the visitors finally upped the ante late on.

His counterpart Renshaw, a bystander for much of the night to that point, was forced to extend himself twice in quick succession as the game approached injury time – Cameron’s header and Austin’s shot both going close.

In the end, sub Freemantle’s header hit bodies on the line before Cameron was able to apply the all-important touch to pull his team level.

Before the busy Christmas and New Year period, Harriers head back to Boston United on Saturday for an FA Trophy tie, just seven days after a 2-1 league win their last weekend.