Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Young campaigners set up petition against school bus cuts
6:20am Friday 31st January 2014 in News
A PETITION to stop Worcestershire County Council cuts to school bus services in Wyre Forest has been set up by young campaigners.
King Charles I School pupil Craig Bateman, a member of Worcestershire Youth Cabinet, has been collecting signatures at Wyre Forest schools to campaign against the cuts, which could see a £3 million taxpayers' subsidy for public transport being scrapped.
The proposals put 88 services on 43 routes across Worcestershire "at risk" unless private companies take on the services, with higher prices or reduced pick-ups.
Craig, 17, has been working with Malvern Hills student Jai Balton, member of Youth Parliament for West Worcestershire, on the campaign and the pair are planning to speak at a county council meeting on behalf of young people on February 6.
Craig said: "There's 21 services affecting us in Wyre Forest. I believe six of those take young people to Wolverley Secondary School which will have a huge impact on the education of young people.
"As a fellow young person, with a few friends at Wolverley, it's one of the biggest concerns.
"We have lots of students from King Charles who come to school on the buses. Wyre Forest and Worcestershire are quite rural areas."
Craig said he is planning to take the petition to Baxter College and Wolverley Secondary School so more young people would have the opportunity to sign it. He had already collected more than 100 signatures from King Charles.
Craig has also written to county councillors to ask for support and to see if any alternative measures could be taken before any cuts are imposed.
Comments are closed on this article.