Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting KS NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
New Kidderminster link road gets green light
5:50am Wednesday 12th February 2014 in News
PLANS for a new link road that could boost economy and cut congestion have been given the green light.
Phase two of the Hoobrook Link Road has been approved by Worcestershire County Council planners and work is expected to start in less than a year.
The development will provide a link from the A451 Stourport Road, over the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal and River Stour, through to the A442 Worcester Road.
Phase one is currently under construction and the £12.4 million second phase will complete the scheme.
Plans for the latest stage were submitted in October 2013. The proposals are for a 600 metre extension to the development access road through the former British Sugar Beet Factory site, which would complete the link from the Stourport Road (A451) to the Worcester Road (A442).
The county council said the route would have a significant impact on the local economy, reduce existing congestion on the Kidderminster ring-road junctions and improve access to the town centre.
Conseravative Simon Geraghty, the county council's deputy leader and cabinet member for economy, skills and infrastructure, said: "This is fantastic news. Phase two of the Hoobrook Link Road is of huge importance not only for Kidderminster and Wyre Forest but also for the success of Worcestershire.
"As well as improving traffic flow, it is one of our four key employment sites across the county.
"The development will not only remove a barrier for the redevelopment of key employment sites within the South Kidderminster Enterprise Park area but also unlock the development potential of phase two of the former British Sugar site and uplift the existing development within the Hoobrook Industrial Estate making this site a more attractive investment proposition."
He added: "Improving transport links in our county is a key priority to secure future economic growth.
2This is one element of a substantial investment in the important improvement project for the county's infrastructure and is a reflection of our commitment to keep the county competitive and ensure it is very much 'Open for Business".
Conservative Rob Adams, chairman of the county council's planning and regulatory committee, added: "These proposals will benefit road users by reducing town centre congestion and enhance the economic potential of the area by unlocking a previously under used site and encouraging new investment.
"We welcome this development as it satisfied a number of the county council's objectives and importantly our Open for Business priority which will benefit the people in this area and the wider community."
Work is expected to start in December or January next year and take 12 to 14 months to complete.
Comments are closed on this article.